SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jillies01

White Cabinets with cream backsplash - will it work?

jillies01
11 years ago

Hello! I have been "lurking" on this forum for a while, but am a point I need some input.

Here is a little background: Six years ago, we gutted our oak kitchen, and replaced it with custom painted cabinets, a light green granite and tumbled marble backsplash. The problem is I hated it. The cabinets turned out WAY to yellow (I wanted an oatmeal / creamy white) but instead they are a french country yellow, with a burnt umber glaze. In some lights, they are ok - more cream, but anytime after dusk they are just yellow. The finisher refused to repaint them without me paying the finishing costs, even though they were not the color we discussed. Needless to say - I have lived with them. Two years ago - I convinced my husband to save the expense and mess of refinishing them, and just replace the tile to try to make the kitchen look better. We replaced it with the Walker Zanger Avignon tile, which is creme with a yellow and green pearl border.

Here's the problem. I really like the backsplash but still hate the cabinets! Since my DH will not let me redo the tile or granite again - do you think I could get away with painting the cabinets a warm white without them looking odd against the cream backsplash? I saw on one backsplash thread by slonewby a picture that looks similar to what I am thinking - but at this point I am so unsure of my own decision making that I need some help! this is my last chance to "get it right" since my family thinks I am crazy with this!

Comments (9)