SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaysd_gw

How inconvenient to have fridge and freezer columns far apart?

kaysd
13 years ago

I am struggling with our new kitchen layout. We are leaning toward the Thermador Freedom columns: 24" fridge and 18" or 24" freezer. The only place they can fit side by side is in a side wall that is also the only good spot for a reach-in pantry (no room for a walk-in).

Facing into the kitchen from the living/dining area, the right side wall is 11' 4", with a 6' wide bay window that starts about 2' in from the wall to the dining room. The right wall meets the back wall in an L shape. The back wall is 14' 8". The left side wall has a 5' 6" long area that recesses 3' 6" deep into the hallway on the other side. The fridge/freezer will fit into this recess, but I would rather use it for a 16-18" deep reach-in pantry with shelves, plus a closet from the hall side (we have no coat or broom closet now). We want to put a small island at the front end of the kitchen where it transitions into the dining area.

Because I have 24" to the right of the bay window (sink will be centered under the window), I could put either the fridge or freezer there, and put the other unit at the other end of the L next to the oven stack, or it could go on the short side wall and still leave us a little pantry space.

Will it be really inconvenient to have the fridge and freezer across the room from each other? On occasion, I will have to collect ingredients from both locations to make dinner (as well as from the dry goods area and spice drawer), so I will have to walk around a bit before I can start prepping, but I expect that will happen anyway. The biggest inconvenience will be if someone wants a glass of ice water and has to visit both fridge and freezer to accomplish that task (unless we spend the extra $400 for in-door ice and water in the freezer and live with the look and increased risk of repair). I have learned to drink water w/o ice since we moved and no longer have an ice maker, but our kids or guests may prefer iced beverages.

Comments (11)