SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bibliomom

Glass Vessel Sink in a Wet Bar -- Am I Crazy?

bibliomom
15 years ago

So, 80% into our basement remodel: we've installed the oak laminate floor, painted the walls dark, rich colors to match my giant mid-eastern rug, and will be putting in some white cabinets for a corner wetbar area.

And now I need to pick out a sink to fit in the corner. We've gone fairly inexpensive so far -- Ikea cabinets, Costco laminate, DIY, and re-using the furniture and rug we already had -- so I'm having a hard time making myself pay a ton of money for a pretty wet bar sink that'll live in the basement. I'm having an equally hard time buying a cheap, crummy wet bar sink to go in the nice basement we've been working so hard on.

And then I saw this pretty vessel sink online and wondered if I would be insane to use it in a corner wet bar area. DH thinks the idea's absolutely crazy and will look terrible. We both like the idea of vessel sinks in principle, but since we have small children, functionality has hitherto trumped the pretty-factor.

But the basement's different -- it's mostly movie watching and guest quarters, with occasional herds of small children. The wetbar will be used for movie snacks, tea, and occasional minor utensil and glass washing - it's a bar sink. It's also right next to the bathroom, so it probably won't even get much handwashing use.

*I* think a pretty vessel sink could look pretty cool sitting on the counter in the corner of the three cabinet unit -- more like an actual decorative bowl than a sink. And it can hardly be less convenient than the old, square sink which was pushed so far back in the corner it could barely be reached.

Am I totally crazy, like DH thinks? I have zero experience with vessel sinks and even though I'm guessing it won't actually be used very often, will it still be so annoying to try and wash the occasional glass and spoon that I'll hate myself? Is it going to be a total pain to try and fit it into a corner? Are there some other huge problems that I'm completely missing?

Please let me know what you think -- unconventional or just nuts?

Thanks!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz