SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alexism_gw

The SAGA continues...

alexism
13 years ago

I know by now most of you have seen my kitchen from my previous post a few weeks ago. I appreciated all of your quick responses and feedback.

Update- I was finally able to get the owner of the restoration company out to the house today to look at the disaster. Apparently he wasn't real happy when I e-mailed him the photos of the kitchen. http://s1199.photobucket.com/home/alexism84

He claimed that the assistant contractor on the job was inexperienced and had made several mistakes due to her lack of experience (not knowing exactly what to look for) DUH! Also, he said there was a mixup in what crew was sent out to do the job originally. We now have a new crew in that is totally sanding down/prepping/wood fill/spackle the cabinets. The owner claims the state of the cabinets is due to poor prep work or lack therof, however, many of you stated that it was the craftsmanship of the cabinetmaker that was at fault.

He also claimed that if you go in and inspect any custom cabinet job with wood painted cabinets I would find some of the same errors. I'm not quite sure this is true.

He stated that I was being too picky/difficult and that he didn't agree with me on the wood quality. There is an area above the vent hood where the wood doesn't meet up with the other piece. I know that you can't see it cosmetically but I was worried about the state of it structurally. I told him that I had discussed this with several people who had custom kitchens and that they agreed that it was the quality of the wood not the paint job. He said, " I don't care what other people have to say, this is what I am telling you." As you can imagine I was quite furious and my husband hadn't arrived yet so he was uanaware of what was said upon his arrival. So when he arrived at the house the contractor was being all nice and this is minor blah blah blah let us fix this with this crew there is no need to replace these cabinets etc. His company has a 5 year warranty on all of their work. He claims that if he thought there was a need to replace the cabinets he would do it now rather than wait for us to call and him come out of pocket again to replace the cabinets. Even the new crew mentioned that it was cheap wood and the cabinets needed to be replaced. However they didn't want me telling the GC that they told me that. I am worried that if they look this bad after only living in the house a month with no children I can't imagine what it will be like once we have kids and have lived here a few years.

I have added more pics since my original post. For everyone with wood painted cabinets. Please take a look and let me know what you think.

Sorry this post is so long :)

Comments (24)