SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gursk_gw

Quick on the draw ... slots for knives in counter top

gursk
13 years ago

Hi all,

Continuing the kitchen planning saga and trying to eke out every inch.

Our microwave is going to sit below the counter, under what will be our prep area.

The microwave will not fill the full depth of the cabinet and there will be a large empty space behind it. So, as ever, my mind is churning away at how to take advantage of that space.

I have come up with an idea to have knife slots cut directly into the quartz counter top. This would have the knives easily accessible for prep with the blades hanging down into that space behind the microwave.

I've done all sorts of research here & online and have found a few examples of this done in butcher block counters, but none in quartz.

Anyone done something similar with quartz?

What about knife storage in the counter?

Do you love it? Do you hate it?

My DH was thinking of taking this idea to 11 by insetting a block of butcher block into the counter (he likes the idea of removing the block for cleaning). He would have a 12x5 hole cut in the counter and either leave a small edge/lip on the underside to set the block into or use bracing on the underside to keep the block in place. Potentially,(to earn bonus engineering guy points) he was also thinking of adding a stainless steel insert that would sit below the block to catch any spills etc.

Any thoughts?

The tetris-free kitchen thanks you!!!

Comments (29)