SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crl_

Layout version five million and six

crl_
9 years ago

Kidding. Sort of. We are still planning our kitchen remodel, scheduled for spring 2015. It's possible our budget will increase, allowing for a bigger project than originally envisioned. So I am playing with the possibilities in case that comes through.

Some constraints remain. All doors need to stay where they are shown in the layout below. The shaded area in the corner is to allow a vent stack.

I would prefer to retain the original built-in Hoosier style cabinet from the 1920s. (I plan to have it fixed up and painted blue so it would be the clown in this kitchen.). I'd also like to fit in double wall ovens and a small secondary sink. I think the secondary sink would see some prep use, but more kid-handwashing use. It's location in the plan below seems meh for prep, but good for kid handwashing as it is next to the exterior door.

Windows and uppers are not shown below. We plan to have new casements put in above the entire main sink run. The existing door has a window in it and an awning window next to it--in the corner where I show a prep sink. The window next to the exterior door must stay as it necessary for a balanced look on the exterior of the house. I am thinking upper cabinets above the cooktop run, but stopping short of each wall to accommodate that window and the funky dead space/shelves at the other end of the run.

Some drawbacks of the plan below are no good landing spot for the refrigerator. And dh dislikes the corner where the ovens create that funky dead space. There is an existing vent stack that I think can be placed there--as shown on the plan. (Obviously we will check with our contractor on this point before finalizing any plans.) And then I think ipthe remaining space could be filled in with a nook for the stand mixer on the counter and shelves above for cookbooks.

Also this plan doesn't create an awesome prep counter space. (The existing built in cabinets do have a pull out counter, which is a bit low and not ideally placed for prep, but is awesome for buffets/plating/lunch packing/kid helping.) Shrinking the cooktop to 30 inches and losing the prep sink would create a longer clear run. On the other hand the cooktop will be induction so with a cutting board on top, it can be used as prep space when we aren't cooking. And the prep sink could also have a cutting board placed across it. So maybe it is more functional that it looks at first glance?

Thoughts and suggestions would be much appreciated!

Comments (36)