SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vishketan

Wide Galley Kitchen Version 2.0

vishketan
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi
We are planning to remodel our kitchen. The dimensions are 10.5 ft x 15 ft with three sliding doors (one opens into the laundry, one into the family/dining room, and one into the entry passage to the house). Our kitchen seems wider than normal galley kitchens, but not wide enough to accommodate an island. See attached floor plan. Since we have a metal roof, it is hard to move the chimney vent. Therefore, the location of the cooktop/range cannot be changed. Everything else can be moved around.

I wrote asking for suggestions a few months ago (http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/3520757/layout-help-for-wide-galley-kitchen) and received some great replies. I had a chance to reflect on the suggestions and came up with two possible plans. Please comment/critique and help us decide. The primary toss up is between a traditional Galley kitchen with 30" deep counters or more traditional 24" counters in a U shape.

Usage:

- Both me and my wife cook almost every day. Our 6 year old daughter helps out. So basically the family spends a lot of time in the kitchen.

- I bake bread and cakes on a weekly basis. Occasionally I make cookies or pies. We are vegetarians. So no need to size the oven for a thanksgiving turkey!

- We cook food from all over the world (Indian, Chinese, Mexican, Soups, Stews, etc etc.)

- We have a collection of French copper cookware (around 20 pieces) and cast iron cookware (around 10 pieces) which we more or less use on a regular basis. However, our current kitchen does not have enough storage space so we have to store some pieces in the garage.

- We love our gadgets :) We own a food processor, kitchen aid mixer, a grinder for making idlies, bread machine, a juicer and an assortment of other gadgets.

We are planning to use RTA cabinets from Barker cabinets. The appliances we have selected so far are:
- Dishwasher: Miele Futura Diamond
- Range: Capital Connoisseurian 36" with 6 burners. I chose the connoisseurian over the culinarian primarily due to electric oven being better for baking (Trevor Lawson from Eurostove was very helpful over the phone).
- ModernAire vent hood.
- Still deciding about the refrigerator.

My thoughts:
- With the 24" counters in a U shape layout I get *slightly* more counter space as well as storage space. However, the corners are likely to be dead spaces. I am aware of lazy susans but have never owned one, I am not sure how effective they are.

- We have 4 - 5 heavy counter-top appliances (kitchenaid, champion juicer, a grain mill, and a wet grinder) which we use regularly. We could leave them on the counter but would be good if they were at least partially hidden away. We are debating between having roll out shelves vs drawers to store them. If you have thoughts about the pros and cons of either please let me know.

- Since I bake a lot, I also have a wide assortment of cake pans and cookie sheets which would be good to put away neatly. What do the bakers on this forum use? Inspiration photos would be greatly appreciated.

- I have been reading many good things about the combi steam ovens from Miele. However, I am not sure if I can squeeze one into the current design without sacrificing counter space. Ideally it would go in near where the kitchenaid stand mixer is in the renderings (that is the baking corner).

- I also have some vintage copper cookware I would like to use/display in the kitchen if possible. Not sure how to do it with either of the two layouts.

- Do you have suggestions for faucets to pair Kohler stages sink?

- While the sink itself looks pretty neat, I am a bit concerned about losing 48" of under counter space to the sink cabinet. I am also considering the 33" version. If anybody owns or has experience with the 33" version and can chime it, it would be very helpful.

Eagerly looking forward to your replies :)

Thanks

Comments (91)