SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
k9fan

Merillat Classic vs. Kitchencraft? And size of vent hood?

k9fan
12 years ago

Hi, I'm going to piggyback two kitchen questions in one here.

First, we are at the point where we've committed to a cabinet shop (paid a big deposit) and we need to place our order within the week. We are going semi-customized because we can't afford custom. This shop sells Merillat and Kitchencraft (and maybe others, but that's all we've looked at). Supposedly the Kitchencraft is 20% more than Merillat Classic, which is primarily what we've looked at. We are wondering if it's worth the boost in price.

Does anyone have any comments about these two brands in particular? We've looked for reviews on the web, and it seems that for every brand, there are "love it" and "hate it" reviews.

The picture below shows more or less what our kitchen will look like, except that I think we're going to ditch the glass fronts on the range-side cabinets, and the corner is going to have a TV shelf with a small cabinet above rather the corner cabinet now pictured. This is not our software, by the way -- it's the cabinet shop's rendering.

As a little bonus question: how important is it to have the vent hood for the range be 6" wider than the range? Both our architect and some people here have advised it, and I do a lot of stir frying. On the other hand, it looks a little bulky in the cabinet man's drawings. (The picture below is with a 30" hood for the 30" range; he hasn't yet sent me the version with the 36" hood.)

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert