SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
subonim

Vent Hood Question

subonim
10 years ago

1.) Is a 27" deep hood too deep for a 25 13/18" range top? While the range top measures over 25" in total, the front burner ends right at 24" and the last 2 inches is just metal.

I'm going with the 36" Thermador 6 burner cooktop and trying to decide between the 24" (PH36HS) and 27" (PH36GS) Thermador vent hoods. Both hoods are 36" wide (I don't have room for a 42") and use excellent 10" ducting with option for horizontal or vertical exhaust. I like the look of the 27" hood better and it offers heat lamps in addition to the halogen lighting. Unfortunately, neither has LED lighting.

I know the rising effluent will expand and so the 27" hood will offer better capture, but I'm afraid that it sticking out over the range top will interfere with my head. I'm 6'2" and even mounted 36" above the range top it will be at forehead height. Has this been an issue for anyone?

2.) For the exhaust, my range top will be on an exterior wall with a wind on either side. I plan on just directing the exhaust horizontally right out the back wall for the shortest possible duct run and using the vertical duct cover for looks only. With the nice wide 10" duct I figure this will maximize my efficiency and minimize noise.

Any reason to run the duct vertically a few feet and then turn out the back wall?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (20)