SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melanie1121

Kitchen Progress...Backsplash Suggestions Welcome

melanie1121
15 years ago

Hi Gardenwebers,

Photos for your "viewing pleasure". I'm into the home stretch and would like some backsplash suggestions!

Is it ok to use a tumbled matte tile with a polished granite surface? The contractor mentioned that tumbled matte tiles are best paired with honed granite and conversely shiny ceramic tiles are best paired with a shiny polished granite surface. Is this true? The surface of my granite IS polished and shiny.

I finally selected my countertop! I could not afford to do both the backsplash AND the counter in granite so I opted for the counter in granite.

The cherry pecan cabinets (Medallion) and the lighter red oak natural floor (Mercier Engineered) are somewhat contrasting.

I know what I do want (sorta) and I know what I don't want however I haven't found that "perfect tile". Here goes:

I would like a "plain" backsplash that will tie in nicely with both the cabinets and the counter. I do not want the backsplash to compete with the cabinets and the granite. I cannot do custom order tiles due to the expense and time it takes to special order. I am partial to ivory and cream, not gray, however I am open to suggestions. I would prefer an uncomplicated design and do not want to use glass. I am not fond of borders. Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

See photos below...begining with the OLD kitchen:

Thanks for looking and for your help,

Melanie1121

Old,Old Kitchen:

Space with wall and stove removed (left side) and door sealed to the right of where the dishwasher use to be:

Another view of the floor Mercier Engineered red oak natural:

Opposite wall (red pex tubing was removed):

Getting there (not really this orange looking):

Medallion cherry pecan cabinets. This photo best represents the colors of the cabinets and floor (thanks to a sunny day):

Opposite wall from above photo. There will not be any tile backsplash above the small base cabinet to the right of the pantry; instead I opted for a small 6" granite backsplash and paint above it to transition this area. Paint color will be very neutral, perhaps Benjamin Moore Linen (haven't decided):

What is to the left of the kitchen? An open dining room! I did not opt for an island. I'm looking into a light colored dining set that will blend in with the similar red oak natural color of the floor. I also need to consider inexpensive window treatments. I'm open to suggestions and probably should head into the decorating forum:

Granite slab selected is called Typhoon Bordeaux, looks VERY much like Yellow River and has bits of maroon/garnet. I thought it would go nicely with the cabinets and stainless steel appliances (all Kitchen Aid). I also thought the lighter version of Typhoon Bordeaux would provide a nice contrast as does the floor. See??? I paid attention to everyone's suggestions throughout this remodel!!! (two slab views):

Granite is going in after Thanksgiving. Backsplash suggestions much appreciated.

Happy Holidays!

Melanie1121

Comments (42)