SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mommyto4boys_gw

Dark Cherry Kitchen...can it still be fun,light & casual?

mommyto4boys
16 years ago

I posted this over on the home decorating forum and thought you pros could give me your help...

To make a long story short(er). We are in the process of building and GC'ing our own custom home. We are at the finish carpentry phase and I'm happy and NOT! Things haven't worked out in my vision for our kitchen and I'm starting to change and second guess myself on everything. HELP ME PLEASE!

Our main floor is 2800 and consists of foyer, formal dining, office, master and large open great room/kitchen/nook area. The kitchen plan has totally been revamped in layout do to a corner pantry, etc. If any of you follow the kitchen blog, you may have followed this one. My original plan was to have lighter, more brown (than red) stained cherry cabinets and a large painted black island. I love mixing things up. Our cabinet maker brought me 5 doors this week all the same design each with a different stain. Shockingly dh and I fell in love with a rather dark stained door. The cabinet maker said he loves that stain and thought he would just throw it in to see what we thought (even though we were looking for lighter). I decided to use it in the fomal dining room and keep with my original plans. The door keets haunting me and dh keeps raving about it. Also, I pulled out our floor sample (brazillian cherry, Bellawood) and I just don't care for it with the stain we originally chose (the lighter brown). But, you guessed it...the darker cabinet looks striking next to the floor. So...what to do!?

Major concern...I have 4 young boys and we want a fun/ friendly casual home. I'd say my taste vary from transitional to french country, eclectic, I like Pottery Barn. I will have large trim in an antigue white paint color and I will be using yellow/gold, reds and greens. Color and mixing things up don't scare me at all. I don't want a Dark, museum looking home. Can I pull these dark colors off without having the results of dark and formal? I'm going to have a 10 X 4 island in the kitchen with real chunky legs, etc. I was thinking I could have the island painted a cream finish with a brown glaze. I thought that would be a nice contrast and lighten things up. As well I would then choose a lighter cream/golden/tan granite. I don't have a huge area of cabinets because in the one corner we put that walk in pantry and that is taking up about 11 feet of "would be cabinet space". Also, our range hood is 5 feet wide and is finished in dry-wall and will be painted (probably very light). So, that would be less dark stained upper cabinet area too.

I've always read and seen don't have your cabinets and wood floors blend and that there should be contrast. I will post a picture when I find where dh has them. The cabinets definitely have a red tone to them, but not as much as many cherry cabinets. They have a lot of brown more with a red undertone if that makes sense. They are very "rich" looking yet warm, even though darker. Some may be familiar with brazillian cherry from Bellawood...the color varies a lot from reds to browns. The combination actually is surprisingly appealing to me.

Across from the kitchen is the great room. The rooms are open to each other. There is 50 feet spanning from the furthest areas....the kitchen wall with the range hood and then across from that a fireplace with built-ins. I would like the built-ins to be the same stain as the kitchen. We will however have carpet in that area.

Oh, the floors are bought (or I would consider changing them out). My dh will not go for painting the cabinets and staining the island or painting both.

Sorry to ramble so much. I guess I'm very nervous to decide this over the weekend. In conclusion...

Do you think this will be too formal?

Do you think this will be too dark?

Do you think the kitchen cabinets and floor will not have enough contrast?

Do you have any suggestions to "make it work?"

Anyone have something similar, pictures would be awesome?!

I really appreciate your time reading this and suggestions/comments!

Comments (20)