SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dreedree_gw

Granite shield?

dreedree
16 years ago

Has anyone used Granite Shield? Our fabricator just started to offer it--it is a sealant that they apply at the stoneyard and then the final step at installation. It has a lifetime warranty and apparently it is supposed to keep anything from staining the granite and removes the need to ever seal it. Does anyone have any experience with or knowledge of this product? thanks in advance!

Comments (11)

• venkatbo
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

'am no expert, but may want to enure it doesn't alter the perceived final color... May want to have them apply to a small disposable smaple, and have it checked/ok'd by you, before they apply it to all your slabs.

/venkat

• fullajesus
    16 years ago

I heard about that recently too. I've also heard you can put it on about any surface to protect it. Is it expensive? We just installed our granite & I am considering granite shield for our island because it has some really light colors on it. I know granite shield has a website but I still have more questions that the site has answers. I want something to put in our stone shower to make it easier to clean & keep mildew from getting in all the grout & stone. I look forward to seeing if anyone on here has it.

• Related Discussions

Sealing Granite

Q

Comments (37)
    vrjames, yellowdogs2 is not afilliated with Granite Shield and I don't understand why if anyone that mentions good things about Granite Shield that it is assumed they are just associated with the company. As she states she is someone in the interior design business that came across Granite Shield and likes it so well she be putting it on her own granite. Lets see on this thread alone mentions GranQuartz, Innovative Stone's Stonemark with Permashield sold at Home Depot, Stone Tech, Aqua Mix and Tenex but should anyone mention Granite Shield is considered a no no. Instead of censoring the public to only certain products let the public know what all their options are and let them decide on the product that fits their needs. Here is a link that might be useful: Granite Shield VS Stonemark Granite by Home Depot
    ...See More

Granite Shield marble sealer with a lifetime warranty

Q

Comments (16)
    No worries, everyone. I've been lurking on here for some time and finally decided to post as demolition was completed on Sunday and I must make a decision soon! I love this site and appreciate all the comments. I'm just looking for honest feedback. Something about Granite Shield seemed iffy to me, but since my fabricator recommended it I wanted to check it out. From what I've read here it seems that applying the wrong sealant can ruin your marble, and it sounds like you need to make sure your fabricator uses the same sealant that you plan to apply later yourself. A lot of people seem to speak very highly of 511 on this site. Is this what you would recommend?
    ...See More

Granite selection (not color) question

Q

Comments (3)
    My impression is that the whole warranty thing w.r.t. granite is entirly a marketing issue. They often choose granites that are pretty carefree and bulletproof to begin with, and then apply their fancy-smancy super-duper sealer, and then offer you a 15 year warranty, that usually are fraught with weasel words and easy-outs for them. I heard one person paraphrasing one of the warranties thusly: If your granite ever gets a stain in 15 years, we will come out and try to remove the stain, unless you ever use a cleaning product other than the one we sell, in which case you get nothing. I feel that it is far more important to find a skilled fabricator to create the countertop. All the advanced space-age sealers in the world won't help you at all if the countertop is cut to the wrong shape, or if it cracks due to poor installation. And as I see it, the one big, insurmountable problem with Home Depot is that they don't do any fabrication or installation. It is all subcontracted out to others, and while many people who have posted here do have great countertops they purchased through Home Depot, that simply means that the fabricators and installers that Home Depot happened to select for their particular job was sufficiently skilled. There is no guarantee that they won't select a complete bozo fabricator for your job. Regarding color, from your description you might really like Tropic Brown granite, which I chose for my kitchen, and which happens to be very stain resistant even without any sealer. Here's a picture:
    ...See More

Sealing granite countertop

Q

Comments (3)
    You are right! The fabricator says the granite is sealed. What the installer said apparently referred to follow-up maintenance. Thanks for setting me straight.
    ...See More
  • dreedree
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks vencat for your suggestion. The fabricator claims that it does not change the color of the granite although it may may it more shiny; however if the granite were honed it wouldn't change it at all.

Fullajesus, my fabricator charges $6.95 per square foot. I too wanted to see if anyone has had an first-hand experience with Granite Shield but maybe this is too new a product?

• determined_sammie
    16 years ago

Our granite will have this finish - I looked at actual granite samples treated/untreated and there was no notable difference. The designer at the shop said it can be used on any surface - the shop is very busy with contracts for multi-million $$$ home owners doing all their windows, glass shower enclosures, bathroom marble surfaces, etc. Charge at this place is $5/sq ft.

• jb1176
    16 years ago

Can Granit Shield be used successfully on honed carrera marble?

• soldhomes
    16 years ago

Granite Shield Lifetime Warranty and No Need to Wipe Up Spills Immediately verses Stonemark By Innovative Stone with Permashield, Granite Certified By DuPont, Cosentino Sensa with Sensaguard all say wipe up spills immediately

Granite Shield was started and developed in 2002 and is the first to offer a permanent lifetime sealing process for granite With Granite Shield's permanent lifetime warranty & maintenance free sealed granite you don't need special cleaners to clean and maintain your granite. You can even use an over the counter window cleaner with ammonia. Granite Shield recommends Windex or Clorox wipes on glossy granite sealed by Granite Shield to clean the granite. With Granite Shield you don't have to worry about cleaning the spill immediately. Granite Shield doesnt recommend using soap, a cleaner that has polishes or waxes because it will only build up on your granite leaving a waxy, dull, smeary build up. Should that occur with granite sealed by Granite Shield you can just go down to the local hardware store and buy denatured alcohol to remove the residue and your granite will look shiny, repellent and brand new again.

With granite by Granite Shield Countertops or granite sealed by Granite Shield you don't have to worry about rushing to wipe up spills, worry about acidic liquids, using coasters or placemats ever again. However Granite Shield does carry a line of aftercare products for customers who want to purchase cleaners and germ fighters that are created by Granite Shield.

Granite Shield can seal all types of natural stone, glass, stainless steel and exterior cement. Granite Shield is easy to apply, an average countertop only requires one applicator and is complete and ready to use in 1 to 2 hours. Most of the steps can even be done at the fabrication shop. Granite fabricators using Granite Shield arenÂt limited to buying presealed slabs they can purchase slabs from where they normally purchase their slabs or the slab yard their customers has recommended. A Granite Shield authorized applicator can remove stains from previously installed granite then seal it and having a lifetime warranty. Your granite will look better than brand new, smoother, shinier and maintenance free.

About The Granite Shield Process:

Craig Phillips is the creator of the Granite Shield permanent granite lifetime sealing process. Granite Shield was started and developed in 2002. Craig's background includes owning a custom shutter business for approximately 15 years and was a kitchen designer for Home Base and Home Depot for approximately 9 years. Having sold granite and engineered stone countertops for many years Craig noticed the main reason why the public does not choose granite for their countertop needs has been because of the high expense, maintenance and staining issues.

Craig developed back in 2002 the permanent sealing process for granite using different catalyzing polymers. Depending if the granite is considered light, medium or dark, each type of stone takes a different application process and then is capped with catalyzing polymers with a permanent carbon crystal sealant which then blocks the catalyzing polymer into the stone. The carbon crystal sealant forms a molecular bond with the granite which can not be removed thus creating a lifetime seal plus leaving your granite smoother, shinier and maintenance free and still able to breathe! Granite Shield is the first and only to have this process, don't be fooled by imitators even if it's a well known company! If it doesn't say Granite Shield, it's not permanently shielded with a no restriction lifetime warranty like Granite Shield. Granite Shield care and use: http://www.graniteshieldcountertops.com/graniteshielduseandcare.html

Compare granite sealed by Granite Shield
    to the following which the 3 below still say to clean up spills immediately:

Stonemark By Innovative Stone with Permashield: http://stonemark.com/use-care.htm

Granite Certified By DuPont: http://www2.dupont.com/Surfaces/en_US/products/granite/granite_care.html

Cosentino Sensa with Sensaguard: http://www.cosentinowarranty.com/information/sensa.cfm

What Granite Shield's North Carolina Distributor says:

My name is Karan Barber and I am a Granite Shield Distributor / Applicator for this area. This product is terrific. It truly is amazing! We have shielded several types of stone and put them to the test. We put red wine, red Kool-Aid, iodine, brake fluid, oven cleaner, lemon juice etc. on the shielded stone, left it on for 24 hours and it wiped right off with a wet paper towel.

Thanks,
    Karan Barber
    North Carolina

Granite Shield has less than a 1% failure rate with all of their customers. For more testimonials from Granite Shield authorized applicators and customers visit their website at http://www.pr.com/press-release/53608

Thanks,
    Debbie Burton

• paulines
    16 years ago

Most slabs are routinely resined now. Resining is a process done by the quarriers, where slabs are either dipped or hp spayed with the resin and then heat treated. Consumers may note an uneven, amber colored 'spill line' that runs around the perimeter of their slab.

A resined stone and a good sealing after install means years of maintenance free enjoyment of your counters.

This granite shield seems to be a gimmick and a way for some fabricators to upcharge the customer.

• brickeyee
    16 years ago

The problem with any 'universal' coating for granite is that the stone sold is not always a true granite.
    Actual granite will not absorb much of anything, and is not damaged by normal kitchen use.
    Many of the stones marketed and sold as 'granite' are other types of stone, often with various inclusions that may be vulnerable to damage.

This is just another attempt to extract money from buyers wallets.

• Jon1270
    16 years ago

Here we go again. This came up a year or so ago. Debbie Burton, who posted above, seems to have a financial stake in the product. During the last go-round, the consensus of the pros was in line with Brickeyee's assessment.

• soldhomes
    16 years ago

Jon, dreedree had asked "Does anyone have any experience with or knowledge of this product? thanks in advance!" And yes I do have experience and knowledge about the company, Im just simply answering a question or questions that had been asked and pointing out the fact Granite Shield has no restrictions such as the other companies I had mentioned. Many customers now are buying granite from Lowes and Home Depot with these kind of warranties because they know granite stains and want some kind of protection rather than having to seal often. I am one of the owners and have tested and had a part in the creation of the chemicals Granite Shield offers. Granite Shield is a member of the Marble Institute and a highly respected company. It is your choice whether you want to use it or not, but for anyone to say its a gimmick and just a way for some fabricators to upcharge the customer is incorrect. It is quite known that granite does stain even if its resin filled and a homeowner can make that decision to which sealer or sealing service they want to choose. Its a granite fabricators choice whether they want to seal or offer a sealing service to protect granite with a warranty. 2008 you will be hearing a lot more about Granite Shield and many very large granite fabricators will be offering it to their customers on the bottom line, the customer either wants a lifetime warranty against staining or not.

Here's just a few things being said about Granite Shield:

"I wanted to inquire as to who I would contact to have an appointment done for the Granite Shield. I have granite in my kitchen and had the Granite Shield applied and have had no problems. However, my parents, who have the same granite as I do, did not have the Granite Shield applied and their granite has darkened in certain spots, due to some staining. I was wondering who would be the contact to find out about having the stains removed, if possible and then having the Granite Shield applied?"

Thanks,
    J. A. Calabrese, CFP
    Assistant Vice President
    East Longmeadow, MA 01028

"We installed a CaesarStone (HONED finish) bar counter that is extremely difficult to clean. Following is an excerpt of an email I received from a CaesarStone representative recommending your Granite Shield product:

There is one product that CaesarStone has tested and approved for use on our product. It's a one time application that doesn't change the finish hardly at all (it might add a little luster to it). From the results that I have seen it really does keep the dirt and oils from sticking to the surface which makes cleaning a lot easier. It's called Granite Shield 877-477-3254.

We live in Chaska, Minnesota (just 20 miles from Minneapolis) and would like to engage someone to professionally apply your Granite Shield product to protect the bar from fingerprints and stains. Could you recommend someone we could contact?"

Thank You,
    J. Metzger
    Chaska, MN 55318

"Wow for Granite Shield! Once again my son put a container with oil on the bottom on top of my very light colored granite counter top. Only this time it is shielded! No stain!!! Yes! Granite Shield is wonderful!"

Thank You,
    P. Symonds
    San Francisco, CA

"First of all, I would like to thank you for the prompt and professional service I received from you and your staff at Granite Shield. I would also like to share with you a little story of an event that occurred a couple of days after you completed the job. At about 3:00 in the morning I was awakened by my teenage son advising me that his bathroom was overflowing with water. I quickly got up and was greeted with his bathroom having about 1/4 of an inch of water from an overflowing toilet. I quickly shut off the water supply to the toilet and proceeded, with my wife and son, to clean up the mess. To my great surprise, the travertine floor that had been treated by your company actually held out the water and as soon as we dried it up, the floor showed no water spots of any kind. As a matter of fact, the bathroom is located on the second floor and to my great surprise we had no leakage onto the first floor.

You may use this testimonial if you so desire, as part of your advertising as I am very happy with the way your "Granite Shield" has functioned thus far. I have and will continue to recommend your company.

Very truly yours,

L. P. Carreras, EA, AT"
    L.P. Carreras & Associates
    Chino, CA

"Craig, Last week you shipped me some sealer at the request of Craig Kenningson at Santa Regina International, LTD www.SantaRegina.com. I also spoke with you about the products application on Friday afternoon. We applied it on Sunday after the Terrazzo was completely dry. It is a nice product that is pretty easy to work with.

I had a slight amount of the product left over and I did some testing with it on my own. All I can say is wow. I put it on a couple of pieces of slate, and it worked great. Beaded up like a mother. I thought your talk about Dry Treat was a guy proud of his product, but hey the proof is in the pudding.

I also honed 1/2 a polished square of Brecca Oniciatia. I split the tile in thirds, with one section your stuff, the other a competitors and one clear. I applied two coats each. Your competitor didn't fare so well, so I gave him another coat. Maybe it will be better for him in the morning. Worked great on the polished side as well as the honed. I will send pics, but I am sure you know all this.

I call on architects, designers, tile retailers & distributors (like Daltile where Craig found us) stone fabricators here in Jacksonville FL. We should talk about your products.

I am filling out the applicator info and will send it to you."

Sincerely,
    H. Edenfield
    Jacksonville, FL

"We have spent a lot of time refining our process in order to completely eliminate the absorption and staining issue on our cement based engineered terrazzo flooring. Initially, we tested all major sealing products on the market. We solved our problem by developing a new proprietary sealing system with a company called Granite Shield which takes the free lime from our cement and crystallizes into a quartz material. This satisfies 98% of the seal. We then add an ionized polymer sealer on top of the tile to complete the seal. Now our Santa Regina engineered terrazzo has a 10 year stain resistant warranty backed by Granite Shield. To enhance the warranty to a 10 year stain proof warranty an Authorized Granite Shield applicator must complete the sealing process by sealing the grout after installation. Our terrazzo is sold through Daltile nationally.

Thank you Granite Shield for solving our problem."

Craig Kennington
    Santa Regina International, LTD
    Palmer, TX 75152
    www.SantaRegina.com

"My name is Karan Barber and I am the Granite Shield Distributor for this area. This product is terrific. It truly is amazing! We have Shielded several types of stone and put them to the test. We put red wine, red Kool-Aid, iodine, brake fluid, oven cleaner, lemon juice etc. on the shielded stone, left it for 24 hours and it wiped right off with a wet paper towel. Water beads on honed stone."

Thanks,
    K. Barber
    Granite Shield Distributor / Applicator
    Monroe, NC 28110

"November 07, 2006 I have a customer for whom we installed new Venetian Gold granite kitchen countertops in August 2005. He claims that every day the counter is covered in "grit" that can't really be seen, but can be felt. It has been an ongoing problem since installation. I went to visit and found the tops to be just as smooth and shiny as the day installed. I suggested maybe his ceiling is falling apart rather than his countertop and that if that much "grit" came out of his tops every day, there wouldn't be much granite left. He is raising hell with the cabinet shop and contractor and I don't have any ideas. Has anyone had a similar problem customer in the past?"

"November 08, 2006 The granite was definitely sealed, but I don't remember which sealer we were using at that time. Furthermore the customer went to Home Depot and purchased a cleaner and sealer kit and has sealed the top another half dozen times. The only time I have experienced anything like this, it was short lived, not continuous for over a year."

"December 19, 2006 2 weeks ago I applied Granite Shield to the table as a sample to see if it would stop the "shedding" problem. The customer is now very happy and I will be applying Granite Shield to the countertops after the holidays."

"January 11, 2007 This is definitely grit that is coming off the tops. The table was the worst area and it had almost a honed feel to it, but was still shiny. We had to epoxy fill just 2 "chips". The Granite Shield did the rest. Shedding stopped, feels smooth, CUSTOMER HAPPY!"

Sincerely,
    B. Stone
    Architectural Surfaces
    Granite Shield Distributor / Applicator
    Punta Gorda, FL

• Stella Zilber
    11 months ago

I have used GraniteShield in our kitchen, previous kitchens, kitchen floor, and bathroom.
    It does alter the color slightly. I personally like it. It brings out the true natural tones It also makes it more shiny. The best part about it is you only seal it once!!!
    On the kitchen floor I did not see a big difference. Probably because the floor is too porous. It was a big mistake to go with this material for the floor