SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dianalo_loco

Ordered cabs and counter - relieved and nervous at the same time.

dianalo
13 years ago

I know logically there is no need to be nervous, but it was scary to finalize our cabs and counter order (although our counter choice can change before installation). They IKEA guy assured me that if I need to exchange or change anything about my order, it would be no big deal, yet it still felt like such a huge step.

I actually made a change to our sink cab size and adjacent drawer stack at the very last moment. I had been planning on it being one way for the whole time and realized as I was finalizing, that it might be better to have a larger sink cab and therefore narrower drawer stack. When I was there playing with their display kitchens for the umpteenth time, it started to hit me that we will have plenty of storage and to not be stingy with the sink cab's size. We are using a vintage Kohler sink with attached sideboard (42" total width). I know the bowl part would fit in the 24" cab, but decided to go with the 30" after all as it would probably support it better and would give me room to put a recycling bin underneath. I also decided to do 4 shallow drawers next to it instead of 3 deeper ones. The rest of our plan is full of 3 drawer stacks and so I decided I have plenty of deep storage. I plan on putting the silverware there in the top 2 drawers, so deeper for the second drawer would not be a benefit anyway.

It was so cool to put my hands on the actual cabs sizes and configurations that I have been playing with online. They all seem bigger than when I would just use my tape measure and compare them to my current cabs. The island they had on display was 3 feet less wide than mine will be and seemed nice and big. The pullout tall cab seemed tremendous (30" wide). I cannot get over how much more storage and space I will have. They also glided so smoothly. They have hundreds of people messing with them every day yet seemed so well made, even after all the abuse they put up with.

I was also very impressed with the seams on the Corian. You can see them visually because of the "pattern", but they are so silky smooth to the touch. I almost switched to Organic White Caesarstone at the last minute, but went back to the Corian Rain Cloud because of the great seams and because dh likes it better (but would have been happy either way).

I went to bed dreaming of the kitchens I saw and how cool mine will be when it is done.

Comments (10)