SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
snowyct

White cabs/gray counters; forgot about the flooring!

snowyct
12 years ago

Hi All,

Our kitchen is totally and completely demolished, the granite is bought, appliances (almost) ordered, the cabinets are going to be delivered in 3 weeks, and the GC is getting ready to install the flooring and wants to know what to buy. I suddenly realized that I've spent so much time worrying about the cabinet color/granite color/appliances, that I have absolutely no idea what to do for flooring. I'm completely stumped and am pleading for help.

In looking at pictures of kitchens I've loved that have white cabs and gray counters, I realized that most of them have very dark stained wood floors, which probably wouldn't look good in this house. All the rest of the floors in the house are red oak (no stain, just polyurethane, I think), and the contrast of a dark stained kitchen would probably be too extreme. I'm also afraid dark stained floors would be hard to maintain and the dog and cat, who chase each other everyday, would scratch them immediately. The kitchen will get lots of light (south and west facing), so every little scratch will show.

I know I'd like wood, but just don't know what color it should be. Would unstained red oak work? I haven't really been able to find pictures of kitchens with gray counters/white cabs that have a light wood floor -- they all seem to be stained dark.

Here are the specifics of the kitchen (the house is a traditional 1970s colonial; happily, the 1970s kitchen is now a memory):

The cabinets are going to be painted white (BM simply white);

chrome pulls;

chrome faucets;

vermont white quartzite on the counters -- looks a lot like super white);

stainless appliances;

walls (probably) BM Revere Pewter;

subway tiles of some kind for the backsplash.

I've pretty much been muddling through this renovation using all the incredible experience and knowledge on this site (thanks so much everyone -- you've saved me from countless errors!). But if anyone has any suggestions for flooring for this color scheme (or pictures of kitchens with white cabs/gray counters with something other than a dark stained wood floor), I would really appreciate it.

Comments (21)