SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
worldmom_gw

By golly, I think we have a winner!

worldmom
15 years ago

I have been about to tear my hair out over our kitchen layout! We've been working on this for two months, and tonight I think my hubby and I hit on a plan that will work. Here's a link to the empty space version if you want to see what changes we've made: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg112232167085.html?10

Doorway/wall moving is kept to a minimum in this plan, and that will save us money. Also, by having our washer and dryer where they are, I can open up the view of my leaded glass window (currently in the bathroom) and we can take advantage of existing pluming. I *love* the alcove for the shelves in the laundry area. For our family of 14, it will be awesome to have a place to put the baskets of folded clothes before the kids take them up to their rooms each evening.

I also love the half-wall and column entry we have planned for the entry into the kitchen. We copied it from our last house (also built in 1910).

Getting the wall ovens off the fridge wall frees up some space for more countertop there, and I will like having the ovens closer to the cooktop. And look at my ginormous pantry! I can't wait! :o)
{{!gwi}}From Last Import

Here is a link that might be useful: empty floorplan

Comments (40)

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I love the improvement you made for the laundry area. I would, though, extend the wall from behind the cooktop so that it goes between the w/d and the oven, make a doorway and put in pocket doors on both sides, so you can close off the noise. I don't think our laundry is loud, until I close our pocket doors and appreciate the nice difference.

My concerns, which aren't really new, since this is pretty close to the plan you first posted and sent me:

How do you see using the prep sink? It's kinda far from the stove to be a place to drain and fill pots, and too small for much but filling water glasses. You won't fit 14 peoples' worth of veggies in that. ;-) It'll drive you crazy if you can't fit a big enough batch of things or even your hands in there very well. I'm actually not sure where it would function best, because of the stove and fridge being on opposite sides. It will be a hassle, I think, if people use the seating while you're trying to prepare a meal and you have to circle around them.

The fridge and the dishes are on the far side from the dining room means the meal preparers will be crossing paths with the table setters, but some things can't be helped, especially when you want to use existing plumbing and venting.

Good job to you and your dh!

• User
    15 years ago

I'd separate the fridge and freezer and put the cabinets you have at the ends in the middle to create a single larger countertop space. I'd also put the MW drawer as one of the lower cabs between the two, thus creating a snacking center.

You're not going to be able to have drawers under an overhang or a prep sink on your island. They're not accessible. I'm not sure that your island actually is that functional. It's in the middle of everything---a barrier island. Having a prep sink on the island helps, but it's too far from the cooktop to be optimally functional, and if you move it closer to the cooktop, it's not as functional for the snack zone. What would really work is to have 3 sinks. A prep closer to the cooktop side of the island, your cleanup sink located where you currently have it, and another small "snack" sink located in the cabinet run between the fridge and freezer. With the number of folks in your family, it'd give you a LOT more flexibility and usability for multiple functions happening at once and keep more folks out of your "hot zone" while cooking.

What also might work would be to have the pantry entrance be in the dining room and put the fridge/freezer on the wall you currently have the entrance to the pantry now. The wall where the fridge/freezer is becomes a more cohesive snack zone/message area.

• Related Discussions

We have a winner!

Q

Comments (1)
    Only one million? I'd blow thru that so fast! But I'm happy for anyone who gets a sudden windfall. We had a many million dollar winner in NY a few years ago. The ticket was sold to a bunch of State Employees. My BIL "used" to work with them, but he retired just before they bought the lucky ticket. It was sold at a magazine shop near the Albany NY state capital.
    ...See More

And we have a WINNER!!!!!

Q

Comments (7)
    LOL You guys are NUTS! Kalie wrote me last night that I needed to do something with that post! I was going to go and look closer today....you are wiser and beat me to it!!! GOOF!!! (It was VERY funny tho!!)
    ...See More

We have winners of the photo giveaway!

Q

Comments (9)
    I have Czech_Chick's and Budster's addresses now, but I haven't heard from Jannie yet, and Trin's email never reached me. Trin, have you tried the Gmail address I gave above?
    ...See More

We have a Heisman winner! First ever!

Q

Comments (18)
    I knew Tebow wouldn't win because he already won once. In fact he only got 40+ votes for first place. I really thought Colt McCoy from Texas would get it. Harry and I were both really surprised that BAMA hasn't had a winner before now. They've always seem to have pretty formidable teams. I was for UF during the last game, but I'll be rootin' for Alabama come Jan. 1. My really, really favorite team is the FSU Seminoles but we stink lately. We are going to the Gator Bowl in Jacksonville though on Jan. 17 (?) but only because they put FSU in it so Bobby could coach his last game there. He'll be coaching against WV--the school he left many years ago to go to FSU. Hoping next season the ACC will rule!!
    ...See More
  • farmhousebound
    15 years ago

I had a similar thought before reading Rhome's comment on separating the laundry room from the kitchen a little more--love the idea of pocket doors!

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I've been thinking about LWO's suggestion about separating the fridge and freezer. I like the idea a lot, and much prefer that for a microwave location, since it's handier to fridge, freezer, a sink, and the stove. With the Electrolux/Frigidaire units, though, the water comes in to the fridge and over to the freezer for making ice, so you'd have to plan for a way for that to happen behind the cabinets. (probably not a big deal) Also, separating them means the fridge gets further around the island, so a longer trip from the stove. I think it's already pushing it, so am not sure whether that much further would be horrible, or not really any worse.

The little pieces of counter flanking the fridge and freezer in the posted plan don't do any good as landing spots, since the doors open toward them and would block them.

Another idea would be to shift both units toward the pantry, and have the counter together on the right-hand end. It'd only be about 3 ft(?) of counter, so pretty tight for a 3rd sink?

If you could do without island seating, a nice-sized sink in the center of the dining room side of the island would be great.

• worldmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone!

I wish we could put in a pocket door to separate the laundry area, but unfortunately that would make it so the wall ovens wouldn't fit in that space. What we *can* do is have our cabinet guy build fronts for them that can be closed off, and I think that would help somewhat with noise. I really, really, really want to keep the ovens there so I can free up space on the fridge wall. Alternatively, we may be able to put the W/D on the other side where the shelves are now and stack them, but we'll have to flip-flop the sink and toilet and make the powder room door open out to borrow enough space to do this.

Also, re: the little sink - we will have a pot filler on the cooktop wall. Really the only reason I want an extra sink is to have a place for my kids to get drinks. Since we're losing our fridge with the water in the door, I know they'll be climbing all over my counters to try to reach the primary faucet. I was thinking of having the cabinet guy make a little pull-out step stool so they can access the secondary sink, and I want a small pull-out shelf to keep plastic cups in nearby.

Here's one thing I'm wondering about. What if we separated the fridge and freezer and had them flanking the three windows? Then the wall ovens could go to the garage wall. I like the idea of the snack center between the two, but I'm hesitant to separate them on the wall where they're currently shown because it will mean we have a hulking floor-to-ceiling bank of cabinets right near the back doors. I'm trying to keep regular upper cabinets in that corner to keep it more open looking. I could, however, leave them on that wall together and move them toward the pantry (the freezer door would still open all the way because it could extend into the pantry when needed) and then I could have a longer run of cabinets/counter leading toward the back door. The micro drawer and small sink could go there if I could make it long enough to accommodate both.

Or what if I had the fridge on the wall nearest the dining room, along with small sink and micro drawer, and then the freezer and cooktop on the garage wall with wall ovens as currently shown?

Any other ideas?

I need to let our appliance guy know ASAP if I'm going to need two single trim kits for the fridge and freezer rather than the duo version we ordered.

• bmorepanic
    15 years ago

Maybe flip the cooktop and ref/frzr. Gets you out of the main aisle. Also consider rotating the micro drawer so it can easily be used by people warming up sandwiches and left overs.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

I think your stove works where it is because when thinking about pathways it seems as if it would be protected from kids coming in from the backyard or walking in to the kitchen from the hallway at the bottom of the kitchen. So it's good that you have one major point set. I can see swapping the frig and freezer to the long sink run and placing the ovens on the east wall. It's a toss up whether you should put the frig on the end closest to the cooktop (convenient for obvious reasons) or if it would be better on the open end where the kids could come in from the backyard and get a drink. I have a Florida mindset where everyone spends the bulk of their time outdoors. It may be different where you live. It might make more sense to put the frig where you show the ovens now. Come in from the hallway and get snacks but close to cooktop. The prep sink would then be convenient to the ovens if you're a baker. The main sink could be used for cooking and kid's drinks. If you're not a baker... then I'm not convinced the prep sink is well located. As said, the drawers won't be accessible from under the overhang but you could face a pullout toward the stove for trash. I would then put the MW drawer where you now show the trash... on the end.
    I'm wondering... is one DW enough for such a large crew? Would you consider having 2?

• worldmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I moved a few things around...

Now the fridge/micro/secondary sink are closer to the dining room and form something of a snack center. Freezer is still nearby but not right next to the fridge. Wall ovens and cook top share a wall. Washer and dryer stacked and moved into a recessed area that could possibly have doors.

I think that's it. Oh, and ignore the random "cooktop" label in the middle of the room. I forgot to delete it.

Now I'm going to go scream into a pillow. {{!gwi}}From Last Import

• malhgold
    15 years ago

Why not just put the freezer in the pantry. That's what I'd do with mine if I had a pantry. That would free up space to put the w/d back there. Aren't stacked w/d's smaller than separate units? With 14 people in your house, I'd think you'd want the biggest you could fit. Also, maybe swap the frig and prep sink. You'd have a more open feeling when entering the room from that direction.

• User
    15 years ago

I like a lot of this new design better in many ways, but I still think you need a prep sink on your island near your cooktop.

Have you thought about getting a "regular" fridge/freezer combo for "everyday" use and just putting an auxillary freezer in your garage or pantry? The freezer is taking up prime real estate in your kitchen, and while you need access to frozen items regularly, a large freezer doesn't work as well for that function. A large freezer works best as longer term storage of items, and, really, longer term also means manual defrost. None of that functions as well with the stylish seperate larger freezer. If that freezer is for everyday items and you have separate freezer elsewhere, then you're probably OK, but that's still a lot of space to dedicate to every day freezer items. Most people need a LOT more fresh food storage than they do freezer storage, so your needs might best be served with a fridge/freezer combo and additional fridge rather than the setup you propose.

You sound as though you are rushing through the design phase, and that's not a good way to sound. :) Design is the hardest and most important phase! It takes some people with difficult spaces years to get a workable solution. Don't shortchange yourself and lock yourself into something too early! Take a deep breath and really look at how your layout affects how you work. Walk yourself through making a favorite recipe in your layout. See where the shortcomings are and work to correct them.

• worldmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, mahlgold. :o)

We've thought about putting the freezer in the pantry, but my worry there is with people getting ice for their drinks. We go through a lot of ice water each day. ;o)

The washer and dryer are Electrolux front loaders and are among the largest capacity units made. They also wash and dry in 18 minutes, which is a huge bonus. We also have a second set going in the old laundry room in the basement.

I like the idea of swapping the fridge and prep sink, and it would put the "water station" closer to the ice in the freezer, assuming we leave it there. Thanks for the suggestion!

• footballmom
    15 years ago

If you are putting your washer and dryer behind closed doors, be sure to allow at least 4 inches behind them for the vent and the drain hoses. Installers have told my son again and again that people neglect to do this and then wonder why the doors won't close or the units stick out so far.

• alku05
    15 years ago

What about something like this:

Things that would make this design better:

-Instead of doing a cooktop and wall ovens, do a range and place a second oven undercounter beneath the three windows.

-If this is a new build, shift the three windows over away from the laundry room just a tad bit (6-12") to better accommodate the fridge location. This may also make room for the pocket door.

-Two refridgerator freezers may work better than an all-freezer and an all-fridge.

• plants4
    15 years ago

In all of these drawings it seems to me like the placement of the cooktop is not the primary driver and as a consequence it's in the way of something else or something is in its way. Maybe I'm wrong but having the corner of the island, especially the seating part of the island, be behind one third of the cooktop doesn't feel symmetrical and it seems as if there would be a lot of people in the way of the cook. It's best if family members can set the table without getting underfoot of the cook(s).

I don't know what the solution is but if it were me, I'd start from scratch. Also I would consider taking alku's version and rotating the island 90 degrees so that the preparation part of it was opposite the cooktop and the seating was on the other side. That seating side also serves as the setting and clearing part of the kitchen which I assume the cook isn't doing with a family that big!

• rhome410
    15 years ago

OK...I'm hyperventilating here... ;-) One main sink, a potfiller, and a tiny sink for drinks...Wouldn't work for me in a family your size. The prep sink is invaluable in my kitchen, not replaceable by a pot filler, and doubles as a place to get drinks while serving many more purposes than that. A nicely sized prep sink, located properly, will be worth many times a pot filler and that too-tiny sink combined. (My humble opinion as another mom of many homeschooled children.) The kitchen is just too busy and full a place to try to do everything in one sink. And it makes spreading the stove and fridge and sink so far apart much more of a problem.

Maybe you need something with an outer ice and water dispenser? I can't imagine my freezer being opened that many times a day!..and it will allow the 2nd sink to be placed for prep instead of drinks.

I would do all I could to be able to close that laundry area off.

I agree that kitchen planning is worth the time to get it right. There is enough 2nd guessing without rushing. ;-)

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Here is a plan I did for you before when I was working under your original walls...with the powder room in its original place, with the first idea you had for the dining room cabinets, etc. I was wondering if it looked any better than what's happening. You don't have the cool laundry area near the stairs, but I thought maybe it was worth a look for comparison. The seating still is a potential interference problem in this one, too...But it could also be a good place for someone to perch and work at making a salad, paring apples, etc.

• bmorepanic
    15 years ago

laughing

If the dishes are towards the left of the main sink, you lose a bunch of setting the table interference.

Because of the location of the back door and garage entrance, perhaps the aisle in front of the clean up area could be wider?

• worldmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

At the risk of annoying the heck out of everyone, what do you think about this version? I extended the fridge wall to include the freezer and leave room for the 30" micro drawer in between, and moved the wall ovens back to the cooktop wall. This will allow us to close off the laundry area with a pocket door. The trade-off with this is that we now do not have a straight shot into the kitchen from the center hall. Do you think this will be problematic? Because of an existing doorjamb which leads toward the stairway, there is no way to move the doorway into the kitchen further down toward the window wall.

I tried moving the cooktop into the corner near the pantry, but even though it's a longer trip around the island to the dining room, I just can't bring myself to put it there. It's going to be a major focal point in the room, and I also don't want the tall wall oven cabinet visually blocking the back entrance. I hope that all makes sense.

I shrunk the island a bit, added a 22" sink, and turned the seating away from the cooking area. I also removed the half-walls and columns, although it pained me to do that. I have to do some more thinking about how to make the opening between the two rooms "special" in some way...

My major question with this layout is whether the laundry openings not lining up will be an issue. It won't be a major passage into the kitchen, if that helps.

Oh, and I also wanted to clarify that we live in a very small town and that's why the design is falling totally to us. When I see you guys writing about your kitchen designers, I just chuckle to myself - ain't no such animal 'round these parts! ;o) I did try calling the one design firm in town, but they only do new construction and commercial projects. Their advice was to get the local lumberyard to draw up plans with their stock cabinet software, but I can almost guarantee that we'll get a better result researching this ourselves and getting input from you guys. Even though this tweaking is a painful process, you guys have taught me a lot. I knew how I wanted the kitchen to "look," but I hadn't thought much about function. Your input has been invaluable there. :o)

No, I can't have it exactly like I would if I had an unlimited budget and were starting from scratch, but working with what our wallets and 1910 structural limitations will allow, I think we're getting close! {{!gwi}}From Last Import

• rhome410
    15 years ago

OK...What's so darn funny?! :)

You're right about the dishes Bmore. Worldmom originally had a dish hutch on the door side, so I left it and didn't think about the other option. Not only easier to get to, but could be bigger across that side wall!

• Buehl
    15 years ago

WorldMom, how big an overhang do you have? RHome410's is 15", but yours looks a lot smaller.

BTW...you can use the center void in the island as a cabinet w/doors & shelves, just not drawers. I would only store seldom-used or seasonal items there as access is not easy. But it's worth using that space even if it's not easy-access.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I'm holding my breath, awaiting the reactions of others, but I think you may have the best combo here!

But...
    WHY didn't I notice and think of this before...ONE dishwasher?!! :-o

:-D Really, though, I highly recommend having 1 on each side of the main sink...and if you could get the dish storage on the other side, like Bmore recommended, it'd be great. But maybe that's asking too much.

Where you have the X on the island, you can have a cabinet, just not drawers. You can tuck a cabinet under there with doors and keep less-often-used items in there.

• User
    15 years ago

With all the dancing around for the barrier island getting in the way, why not just put the cooktop on the island? (It's always the location of last resort for me, because of the venting and safety issues.) The island is large enough to serve as the prep/hot zone (WITH a prep sink), even with the seating. Then the area with the wall ovens could become a true baking area, and the area with the fridges could be a true snack area.

Otherwise, I think the last diagram works great---with the exception of the freezer hogging up valuable space. Once again, I'd get a "regular" fridge for every day use, and put a separate freezer elsewhere. YOu'll save a LOT of money and add more convenience/functionality.

• farmhousebound
    15 years ago

I really like your last posted layout and would only possibly add the 2nd dishwasher unless you like doing dishes by hand (I do and do not have any plans on having a dishwasher).

Regarding making the divider between the kitchen and dining room special, I think I remember you saying this was a vintage home? If so, are you keeping the home mostly true to character? If so, check out the following spindrels (sp?) on ebay (wouldn't let me copy pictures here). I would have loved to used one of these between my kitchen and breakfast room but due to structural issues was told I could not. Just a thought!

• malhgold
    15 years ago

I know I keep harping on this, but, would/could you consider refrigerator drawers in the island or a "regular" refrigerator in the pantry. Either option would give you the ability to put frequently used prep items nearer to the cooktop so you wouldn't have to walk back and forth across the kitchen all the time. It would also eliminate "congestion" at the refrigerator. I only have 2 kids and it seems that we are all trying to get in there at the same time.

• worldmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mahlgold - we've already ordered our appliances, based on the plan we thought we were going with, so I need to work with what we have. I've thought about maybe putting the freezer in the pantry, but then I need to figure out a solution for ice. We'd have to install an ice maker somewhere in the kitchen, and that's yet more money. I'll have to think about that some more...

I just don't think a standard size fridge would work for us because we've been struggling with a 26 cubic foot side-by-side for five years. I'm *really* looking forward to having the additional fridge space. I've gotten pretty good at fitting in a week's worth of food, but I'm always having to run to the store to buy milk. :o) Refrigerator drawers sound awesome, but they just aren't in our budget, I'm afraid. :o(

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I don't know why getting a regular fridge and a separate freezer would be 'a LOT' of money saved? The units Worldmom is getting are not expensive...about $1900 for both. Most regular fridges I looked at were more than that...and fridge drawers are a lot more? She could always put a small fridge in the pantry later if she wants, which is now close to the stove. I would want to leave enough pantry wall to the left of the door for that possibility, Worldmom.

I would also seriously think about the 2nd dishwasher. Handwashing has been proven to use so much more water and electricity. I can't imagine what a dirty-dish backup we'd have with our 10 if we were back to one dishwasher, so I really can't imagine it with 14. Some people wouldn't have room, but that wall is where you do have playing room.

• malhgold
    15 years ago

I actually meant a regular frig(or a smaller frig) in the pantry in addition to what you already had, not in lieu of. I was suggesting the regular frig because I know the frig drawers are extremely expensive for the amount of space you get in them.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

I think the latest is also the best...yes, the island is skating close to being a barrier, but w/the prep sink you can actually get to each major zone (cooking, prep, cleanup, ref) w/out running around the island. Flow will be Ref --> island w/prep sink --> cooktop --> cleanup sink.

The MW is located in a "snack zone" that's out of the way of the main kitchen work area yet still easily accessed by the kitchen.

Trash pullout is close to prep/cooking/cleanup as well. However, if you have the space, I recommend another pullout closer to the sink & DW.

As to 2 DWs...if 2 will fit in the budget I also strongly recommend getting 2 for your family, one on each side of the cleanup sink (keep them both next to the cleanup sink). I remember how many dishes there were growing up w/just 6 kids (+ 2 parents) and 1 DW wouldn't have been enough. [My mom always said she had 6 dishwashers...the 6 kids!]

My only 2 remaining questions...

(1) What is the seating overhang on the island

(2) What is the aisle width b/w the cooktop & sink counter runs...it should be at least 48" b/c it's a main path from the garage and backyard.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Sorry, Mahlgold, I missed that you already suggested the extra pantry fridge! Mostly, I wanted to make sure she leaves herself the option with a deep enough area that won't be behind the pantry door.

I'm with Buehl on making sure your overhang is adequate, but it looks like the cabinets on those sides should be able to flex for that?

For the aisles, I'd take a little different approach. I'd narrow the one by the cooktop to about 36", so that it's an efficient turn back and forth to the prep sink and island...and then make clear it is firmly disallowed as a path while any cooking or meal prep is going on. I would leave the path by the sink nice and wide for the natural path to the rest of the house and because you rarely work from cleanup sink to island. I would, of course, also leave a good-sized aisle in front of the fridge and freezer for door swings and clearance for the seating.

I wonder if the dish storage run needs to be shortened back from the outside door so that there's less of a pinch getting through between counter corners?

• bmorepanic
    15 years ago

still laughing Hyperventilating. We're all trying so hard and going in 5 directions. I'm still stuck on imagining 12 children.

Yea for two dishwashers! Frowny face for chairs in aisle in front of frz. Worldmom - you are doing fine.

Farmhousebound, is that a number puzzle? dh is good at those - much better than me and kitchens :)

If I can't see the sun, does that mean its over the yardarm?

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I'm glad my panic attacks are another's amusement... ;-D

Have we overwhelmed Worldmom, or has she just been a member here such a short time, she still has an actual life? LOL

• farmhousebound
    15 years ago

bmorepanic--sorry if not clear on the numbers - DH and I e-mail the numbers back and forth and then input them into the search on e-bay to bring up an item since a lot of times you can't copy picture on ebay to post in an e-mail (like w/ this seller). I couldn't post the pictures directly so just posted the numbers.

worldmom--I think you have really hit on a workable plan--good luck!! Hope you have a great Thanksgiving--how long does it take you to cook Thanksgiving dinner for a family of 12 (LOL--probably the reason she's not had a chance to post?)?

• worldmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You guys make me laugh! I've missed a lot while I've been gone today. :o)

OK, here's the latest, and I hope - greatest.

- Freezer in pantry. Still plenty 'o room in there. I'm really liking the idea of having it there now that I have an alternative for ice. It makes sense. Oh, and remember that our spare, very large, only 5-year-old current fridge will go in store room in the basement near the spare w/d set. We won't leave it plugged in all the time, but around the holidays, it will be nice to have.
    - Pocket door to close off laundry area, straight shot into room with freezer relocated
    - Longer cooktop wall (my piece de resistance!)
    - ice maker and small bar sink at end of snack center
    - second dishwasher, if I can convince hubby. We run ours after lunch and dinner and have gotten quite accustomed to that. I almost never empty it because that's a chore that rotates through the kids.

There's 42-56 inches around the island, with the 42 being the distance from the sink wall to the island. I can monkey around with moving it a tad toward the cooktop. I think it would be nice to have it a tiny bit closer, and I actually think that if there's less space there, the kids will be less apt to traipse through there all the time. Really, that circle through the laundry room and in front of the fridge is where I anticipate all the traffic will be. Water and snacks!

So Rhome - since you homeschool, you may appreciate that my inner island cabinet might become home to special school-time only stuff for my littles. We've used the office for this purpose up until now, but I think they'll enjoy sitting there and playing, doing "art" projects at the island, having snacks, etc. What curriculum (if any) do you use, if you don't mind my asking?

OK, any ideas for getting one more stool at the bar? I'm going with small, backless ones that can slide underneath the 12" when not in use, and I'd *really* like to be able to get a 4th on in there. Is a 12" overhang enough? And what the heck can I top that island with that isn't going to set me back thousands? My honed carrara quotes have been in the $4000 range. Can't be done, says my budget. :o( Butcher block? Stainless? Just stick with soapstone?

Thanksgiving is going to be my breeziest one ever! I've got turkey duty, mashed potatoes/gravy, 2 pies, snacks, sweet potatoes (brown sugar pecan casserole and an Ethiopian version), and stuffing. Guests are bringing oodles of pies, rolls, and other side dishes, and my kids all love to help cook. This is the last time I get to cook a big meal for a while, so I'm looking forward to it! Christmas dinner will be whatever I can whip up with the microwave, crock pot and hot plate. ;o)

OK, I'll leave this for y'all to go over with a fine-toothed comb. ;o) {{!gwi}}From Last Import

• rhome410
    15 years ago

You won't really need much between the fridge and the wall, because of it being able to open into the family room doorway...oh, or will your casing plan impede it doing that? Are you still planning to do like you had in your old house?

15" overhang would be the recommended. 12" is doable, especially for young kids, but not optimum, and plan on them kicking the cabinets accidentally and probably often.

I would definitely move the island toward the cooktop and give more clearance on the seating/snack center/main path side. I have my island 36" from my cooktop cabinets and wouldn't have it any further. I would try to get 4 ft between island and sink.

I love the wrap around with the snack sink and ice. If it weren't for the hutch, I'd recommend doing that toward the dining room. But then the fridge location would be affected, and the dominoes would start falling...One change begets a chain of others! So maybe we'll just be thankful for the hutch keeping that from happening!...?

The kids will love that space for 'preschool' work. ;-) And they'll love crawling under the island to get their stuff. I will email you about homeschool stuff so we don't bore everyone else...I'll trade you that for your sweet potato recipes...Yum! ;-)

• worldmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK, here's the island moved closer to cooktop and elongated. We have 48" of clearance around sink wall and dining room wall, and 54" on the snack center side. This also gives me one more seat. I like it!
    {{!gwi}}From Last Import

• worldmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

farmhousebound - I wanted to thank you for the links to the gingerbread spandrels on eBay. Those are beautiful! Unfortunately, the age and style is a bit off for our house, but if I lived in a gorgeous old Victorian, they'd be perfect!

This is an example of what I'm envisioning from our first 1910 house. (Don't tell my mom and sisters I posted Christmas morning photos of them!) ;o)

Below that is a photo of our current house, to give you an idea of the style. It's basically a snazzed up foursquare, with some colonial and arts and crafts elements. {{!gwi}}From Last Import

From Last Import

• Buehl
    15 years ago

I guess I wasn't clear...I meant the corners of the two runs in front of the doors....not the aisles b/w the island and the runs. I wanted to be sure she has plenty of room to bring things in from the garage w/o dinging the corners of her cabinets!

• Buehl
    15 years ago

About the new plan, freezers & refrigerators give off heat and I don't think I'd want one in my pantry unless I planned to have the door open most of the time to let the heat escape. Maybe putting a vent in the door will help. What about the window...what direction does it face? If west or southwest, it may also cause heat issues inside your pantry. (You might also consider two 12" pocket doors so they could be left open w/o being in the way.)

If you're planning on working in the pantry (there's a desk there), I wonder if heat buildup would be an issue for that as well.

Personally, I like the previous layout better, I think it looks nicer/more balanced and functions just as well. The Wall Ovens will be OK next to the sink but, IMHO, not ideal. The new location puts them pretty far from the island which is probably where you'll be prepping for baking/roasting/etc.

Oh, and you'll probably need a bit of filler b/w the wall and ovens (that was also true in the old location).

The island move to add a seat would also work w/the previous layout and I think it's a good idea. But, I think you'll be happier w/a 15" overhang in the long run than 12".

In the end, though, this is your kitchen, so whatever works for you is what you should go with!

Good luck & Happy Thanksgiving!

• worldmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think we'll be OK with the freezer in the pantry because it's literally the darkest/coolest room in the house. It faces north and is blocked by the front of the house that juts out several feet beyond it. We're also taking the radiator out, and I think the door will be open almost all the time because we're planning to keep our cats' food and water in there. As I've looked at kitchen layouts online, I've seen oodles of freezers and second refrigerators in pantries, and I've become pretty sold on the idea. Hopefully I won't regret it! :o)

I think you're right about the entry corner being a little congested. I cut back the cooktop wall a bit, and also reverted to my original plan of having a hutch near the back door on the window wall. I think it opens it up quite a bit. Do you think it will be OK this way?

Happy Thanksgiving to you, too! :o) {{!gwi}}From Last Import

• malhgold
    15 years ago

Would you consider swapping the prep sink and the trash pullout locations. My thinking is that if you take stuff out of the frig, you could just "push" it down to the end if the sink was on the south side. With the current location, there could be more walking around the island to find a place to plop your stuff for prepping. Just a thought. I don't think it's horrible where it is, moving it might just make it a little better.