SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marciab10

Local Cabinet Business bankrupt, Lost 45K

Marcia B
15 years ago

I wanted to share my story, so hopefully this won't happen to others.

We started planning our build(complete custom home) almost 5 years ago.. first working with a builder,(he didn't listen to what we wanted) then decided to buy a lot and be owner/builder. We were building locally and had many friends in the trades. The whole process really went smoothly except for our cabinets.

In the early stages we had a kitchen designer plan all our kitchen and bath layouts, so we had full drawings to give out for bids. Our ogirnal budget was 75K. Our first two quotes(one Woodmode) came in between 140-150! About this time I found these boards and all the talk about using local craftsman. I also am very invoved with my local Chamber of Commerce, so we talked to a cabinet maker in our town, who's work we had seen in custom home models.

He tweeked our drawings a little and came up with a plan. For our cream painted cabinetry he was going to use Hampshire cabinets in Ohio,(very high quality), for our less used spaces, (upstairs laundry, secondary bath rooms etc, all knotty alder) we were using a less expensive brand.(Koch) They were going to build our master bath, butlers pantry, 2 islands, beverage center and mud room in house.(86k)

Last December we gave him 50% down, with a 12 week lead time. We weren't quite ready for the cabinets in March, but in April when we were ready, he told us he was going out of business. He told us 20K had been given to Hampshire(not true) We did receive the secondary cabinets(about 9K worth)- only to have that company put a lein on us at closing!(He didn't pay them, we had waivers.) And not surprising, even though we were supposed to have all our cabinets in March, none of the cabinets to be built in house were even started by April. So we received nothing for all our money down.

This guy had been in business 12 years. He was a quality craftsman, but bad businessman. With the severe slowdown in building I can see this happening to other small businesses.

I am not sure how this could have been avoided. Possibly by demanding to see where our deposit went, but to a respected business owner, that would be insulting.

I did file a complaint with the States Attorney, and we are trying to recover some $$$ with the help of our attorney, but I told him I don't want to pay him 5k to get nothing!

We ended up working directly with Hamphsire Cabinets, who were very helpful, and their cabintry and finish work is supurb. The 9k of cabinets we did receive, we ended up paying another 3500 for, to get the lein removed. And the rest of our cabinets we had built by a young guy who was working for the bankrupt cabinet maker. He has done a fine and fair priced job.. but it has taken time....

5 months and many extra $$$ later.. I did end up with a beautiful kitchen.....

Comments (20)