SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ellekay_gw

Island style conundrum

ellekay
12 years ago

Conundrum regarding single or two-tier island. My architect really wants to do a walnut bar height at the back of the Danby island, 6" higher. He likes that it will look more like a piece of furniture than kitchen and that it will bring some warmth to the look with the wood, and cleaner looking to create a visual barrier. I care less about how it looks to other people and more about how it will feel to me while I cook and how it will affect the connectedness to the other rooms.

We have a very open floor plan. The kitchen area is about 22 x 16 but is continuous with the family room so the whole area is about 22 x 30 and also has open connection to LR/DR which has cathedral ceiling. There are also a ton of windows so light isn't an issue.

Pros for 2 tier

Wood area for eating, low- stress serving buffet, kids/ friends hanging out in kitchen while I cook. Our countertops will be Danby marble so maybe it would be great to have a lower- maintenance wood (Walnut) section. Maybe save money on future therapy (for my spouse) from less marble staining.

Cons

The whole point of having the open kitchen/FR/DR/LR was to make it open and make the kitchen feel cozier and more connected to the FR with a wood stove and make the kitchen more accessible, since that is where people congregate. I really prefer the look of the one-tier simple island and I'm afraid I'm going to feel claustrophobic and cut off from the other areas when I'm cooking behind the raised bar level island. I also don't mind the exposed kitchen.

We have a corner banquette with a glass table right next to the island, so we probably won't eat at the bar much, I'm guessing. Also the banquette table is glass so there is a low-maintenance surface where my kids can color, play dough, do homework, etc right in the kitchen.

Comments (12)