SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beths96

I need help with fixing my tile grout - any suggestions?

beths96
16 years ago

Hi everyone. I used to be a very regular poster here when I was doing our DIY kitchen in late 2003 and early 2004.

I was sitting in the kitchen yesterday and I realized how bad my tile grout looks. Just some background - we did our entire kitchen ourselves and I personally did all of the subway tile, even though I had never tiled anything in my life and was a first-time homeowner. I think I did a pretty good job of it, though, except for the grout.

I purposely chose a darker grey for the color because I wanted the "lines" to show and match the counters, which are a very dark grey too. Well, I thought I did pretty well, until the next day when it dried. I noticed how uneven the grout was. It's definitely thicker and thinner from one tile to the other, and I'm not sure how to fix it.

I have thought about taking a tool of some kind and just manually chipping away (or scraping, actually), to make the lines appear more even. I really, really hope the answer isn't to get rid of the old grout and start over, because I have two small kids and barely any time to do my massive piles of laundry, let alone re-grouting! But it's been three years or so of me staring at my grout and wanting to change it, so I guess it's time. BTW, it's embarassing...I can't believe I finished the kitchen in early 2004 and I'm just now getting around to fixing this tile. Having two kids in two and a half years is my excuse! :) Also, we've put up and stained a fence, poured a patio, and completely finished our basement in those two and a half years, so I guess my kitchen took last place for a while.

Hope you all can provide some solutions for me. I will re-grout if needed, I'm just not looking forward to it. PS - do you like the dark grey? Sometimes I love it, and sometimes I wish I would have done plain white grout.

Thanks!

Beth

{{!gwi}}

Comments (16)