SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtpam2

Layout Help - Refrig Placement is Driving Me Crazy!

mtpam2
11 years ago

Hi all. I have gone back and forth on these layouts for over a year and am just not happy with them. I really need your help.

It is just my husband and myself, our 3 grown daughters have all left home again. We were going to DIY, but since this has dragged on for over 2 years with kitchen gutted to the studs, we are now actively looking for a contractor to help us out! We will continue to do what we can and since contractors are in short supply in our area, we still may end up doing most of it.

New windows were put in and new siding put on about 3 years ago so husband is reluctant to do anything that will affect the exterior. However, at this point I will consider moving or enlarging the window on the sink wall if it would help. Currently the table in the kitchen is our only eating area. We do not have a separate dining room, although our Living Room area which adjoins the kitchen is probably large enough to use as both a dining area and Living Room.

All electrical wiring will be replaced. Our stove is electric so it can move anywhere. We will be adding a vent which the stove did not have before. Since the kitchen is a single story addition to the rest of the house, venting will not be affected by moving the stove around.

We can move the sink if it will help the layout, but prefer not to. As shown the sink is in current location. Kitchen is located over a basement, so plumbing can be accessed.

Plan 1.

Our 36" SxS FD Refrigerator is the problem. It either seems to crowd the stove (Plan #1) or crowd the table (Plan#2) and be the first thing you see when you enter the kitchen from the Living Room.

Plan 2 -

I am not sure if we can fit it in the upper left corner of the sink wall without throwing the lower cabinets off. In order to keep my dishwasher on the left of the sink (away from the stove), it will off center my sink by 9 inches. Not sure if that will bother me or not. That is plan #3.

Plan 3 -

We hope to start on electrical after the first of the year, so need to finalize layout. The refrigerator has been a thorn in my side since I started. Attached is a link to a former post requesting your help.

Former Thread

Which layout do you feel is most workable, or can we do anything else?

At this time, I am leaning to Plan 2 as the easiest. Plan 1 would require moving the doorway between kitchen and LR down about 8 or 10 inches, and just not sure if the fridge would be too hard to get at in the corner in Plan 3.

Suggestions and comments will be greatly appreciated. I promised DH that I would make a decision soon. Thanks in advance!

Comments (15)