SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sugarski_gw

Restoring cherry cabinets, and countertop question

sugarski
15 years ago

Hello, I'm new here but loving all the info about remodeling! We have to sink a bit of money into fixing up an awful bathroom so won't have the funds to do much in the kitchen right now (cottage-like 1939 house, with a few updates that need updating). At the moment the kitchen has: dark-stained solid cherry cabinets, white snowflake-patterned Formica counters and backsplash, newer white appliances, and newer laminate flooring in a neutral beige/white tile pattern. New paint in a soft sky blue with white trim. Luckily the cabinets are in pretty good shape structurally, and the wood is really pretty. I love painted cabinets, but in this case it seems like a shame to cover up the wood. The bottom ones are very scratched and scuffed compared to the top ones, which look great. Would it be fairly easy for me to restore the bottom cabs myself so they look like the top ones? What are some good resources for a total beginner?

I also have a countertop question for down the line. I actually kinda like the Formica, but it's getting old and stained. I would want to keep the counters light in color, as the kitchen is small and doesn't get much light. I don't think granite will work because I want to play up the vintage aspects of the room. Soapstone is beautiful and period, but would just be too dark... I think. Would white Corian be awful? Any and all suggestions appreciated!

Comments (16)