SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
squirrels_gw

For those of you with marble. Embracing the patina?

Squirrels
11 years ago

What should I expect if I had an island counter top made of marble, where 90% of the prep would happen, most likely without a sink, rolling out dough, cutting out cookie shapes, chopping up roasted beetroots for a salad, having a night of gin and tonics with extra lemon, handing over the kitchen to visitors who wanted to cook the meal that night.

I literally have 100�s of photos of beautiful marble countertops, some are designer or in pristine condition but the pictures that make my hear flutter are the ones of a freshly baked cake being served on the counter, or a mix of fresh ingredients that are about to be turned into a tasty dinner for a family.

I really want to �use� the counter tops and not care if there is a bottle of red wine dripping and sitting on the counter. I also would not like to have the counter sealed, I think my personal philosophy is "why potentially use a chemical to make something beautiful when the true value of the item is the actual use of it" and also I guess to just embrace the wear and tear of items since everything has a beginning, middle and an end, and that�s ok with me.

I guess what I am wondering is, what should I expect if I don�t seal the marble countertop, will it look feral for the first few months but within the year will it just have a patina or stains and etches as others may call it?

Even though I am a good year away from needing to make decisions regarding the kitchen I�m trying to thin out the pictures in my kitchen folder and really get some traction with the materials and elements that I just keep coming back to.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting