SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dee850_gw

small kitchen layout options - please advise!

dee850
13 years ago

I posted a while ago about suggestions/feedback for updating my 1975 kitchen, and your responses were so helpful! Actually, that plus lurking here got me and DH thinking about whether we really wanted a minor update or some more radical changes. If we end up ripping out the current cabinets, which we are now leaning further toward, then we may as well come up with the best possible layout, rather than just replicating what we had. So we've been considering possible options and I would love to get some feedback from you all. This is not anywhere near a final plan (and measurements are probably not perfect), this is more like "what could we potentially do in this space?"

I'm linking to my original post below, if anyone wants more photos/background.

The more substantial renovation possibility is motivated by a few factors. First, the original desire to change things came from the very narrow walkway we have in our current layout. We want to open that up. Second, DH is the main cook M-F, and he has chronic back pain issues. Anything we could do to reduce the bending down and searching for stuff in deep base cabinets would be welcome. Thus, we'd like as many base cabinet drawers as possible. We'd love a wall oven, but I don't know if that's possible here.

Most of the time, it's just one adult cook at a time, plus our preschooler who also loves to cook. There may be more kids in the future. We want to have at least the same amount of counter prep space as we have now, if not more. We rarely entertain, and we eat in the adjacent dining room. We do like the table and chairs in there now, though, more as a space for me to work at home with my laptop, and maybe future homework space. That's not necessarily a keeper, though. We will not be knocking down any walls, although we could potentially enlarge doorways a little if that would be a big improvement.

First, the current layout, so you can see where we're starting:

The cabinets were built in place in 1975, they are not separate units. The base cabs have just half-shelves. The blind corners are pretty much unusable caves. The 2 cabinets flanking the range are also useless - due to the large frames, nothing really fits in there. One currently holds plastic bags, and the other is my son's "play" cabinet. So, even if we lost some liner ft of cabinets, we'd probably gain in storage function. The windows on the left side of the kitchen start at 30" above the floor, too low for a normal countertop to fit below - this is why none of my plans include cabinets over there.

I used Ikea's planning program just because it's easy and free. We're not wedded to Ikea for cabinets in the end, although we do like them. DH is deeply in love with the domsjo sink, so it would be nice to accommodate him.

Here's option A: moving the plumbing a bit down the wall, which seems like the best way to give us access to the blind corner. The peninsula is moved to the left by about 10" and is shorter than the current layout. I like that this would give us a second prep space under the window between sink and range. We spend more time prepping than at the sink, and it would actually be nice to be able to see out the window when we're doing that. We like the idea of no uppers on the sink wall, but we'd probably put some floating shelves or a pot rack up there.

Option B: Similar to A, but added a row of higher cabinets to the back of the peninsula. More storage would be nice. This one doesn't include the 6" pullout on the sink wall, and raises the question of whether it would be weird to have the sink so close to the window but not directly beneath it.

Option C is my first attempt to get a wall oven in this space, by putting it right next to the refrigerator. We'd use the peninsula as the "landing space" for stuff going in and out of the stove. The negative is that I think a 24" deep high cabinet there will make the doorway to/from the family room feel tunnel-esque. This plan also moves the cooktop up along the wall, and that's assuming it is not a big deal to move the venting for our hood.

And here's option D, a bigger change -- removed the peninsula altogether. I think we still need something like a mobile cart closer to the fridge so that we have a counter space to put stuff down as we load or unload it. However, I think our our space may just be too small to make this work. I'm thinking that with a mobile cart, we'd always be pushing it around out of the way and ultimately find it annoying.

Do any of these ideas sound especially good or bad? Any other suggestions, things to consider?

Here is a link that might be useful: first post about my kitchen

Comments (18)