SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrs_mjt

Please advise - kitchen layout

mrs-mjt
15 years ago

So thankful to have found this wonderful forum and have been devouring it to learn. We are doing an addition and ended up adding a new kitchen into the mix. Wasn't expecting this so haven't had much time to plan since things are moving quickly. Our kitchen will open to a great room that contains living and dining areas. Please advise on the following:

1. Pantry door swing: would you reverse it? I'm concerned about it bumping into frig door, but builder thought I'd have better access where it is.

2. Cooktop: originally had it on island (makes a nice work triangle) but moved to R wall so I could do a direct vent and leave island for prep + give more weight to that side of the room since the L side is heavy. Would you keep cooktop on wall or move back to island? If on wall, should I move cooktop away from double ovens by 6" so I have an 18" landing on each side before reaching the L in the corner cabs? Currently there is 12" landing on L and 24" on R. If I move it over 6", that would make it off-centered with the coffered ceiling, but not sure if that matters or not.

3. Where would you put microwave? I haven't ruled out an over-the-range micro since it can be vented outside. I primarily use it to reheat, melt butter, not for major cooking.

4. Left wall has 26" deep cabinets: the mail center is located near the garage entrance so hoping mail, etc.. will be dropped off there instead of on the island. It will be a full height cabinets with drawers below & cabinet above, in the middle will have a rolltop door with mail slots inside so I can close it off to hide the mess. Walkway to island is 42".

The frig will be recessed into wall slightly so with 26" cabinet, I'm hoping to have a standard size frig look like it is cabinet depth. Walkway between frig and island is just over 36". Should I decrease island size to increase walkway?

5. Would you add small prep sink to island? If so, where? I'm not a fancy cook (actually don't even like to cook) yet a new kitchen is so exciting!

Thanks!

{{!gwi}}

Comments (22)