SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dingoaint

Stuff I miss from my GW kitchen

Fori
12 years ago

I made a mostly GW kitchen (function--not looks heh heh) and moved after using it a year or two. I currently have a weird 80s redo of a 50s kitchen and have had the opportunity to evaluate what I miss and what I was wrong about.

I miss...

my Tapmaster a lot. Not enough to climb into that disgusting sink cabinet to install one, but I think the spouse will get one as a gift.

Big single sink. Don't like the 70/30 business, but it would be tolerable if the disposal were on the big side. It isn't.

induction over electric. I'd used induction (retro as well as new) for over 5 years. Electric isn't as bad as I remembered for cooking but I keep melting things. Not chocolate.

Ventilation. Even a little is good.

Drawers.

18" over 30" deep cabinets.

Frameless or mostly frameless cabinetry. I've got serious frames and not enough storage.

Lighting over stove and sink. Miss it!

Surprisingly I don't miss some things...soap dispenser? meh.

I don't hate some things I expected to.

Tile counter! If it weren't so dam*ed ugly I'd love it.

Like my previous Corian (pink) counter I said the same thing about, it's a darn nice counter material. Maybe the grout isn't supposed to be brown, but it appears to come clean to me! heat proof, cold proof, cleans up nicely. Drip edge is wonderful. I could see putting in tile...

24" oven. Cute! But I'm using it a lot. I could re-re-retire my wedding present electronics-free toaster oven that I keep putting back into service every time I move. Anyway I think I am a range (big oven) plus tiny wall oven convert.

Open kitchen concept. I guess it's not that bad after all. I do think it should be open to something relevant and not just created thoughtlessly by removing any wall that wasn't a chimney but that's another topic. I miss walls...

Comments (7)