SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alexism_gw

HELP! White painted cabinets ruined by painter!

alexism
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

We recently did a kitchen re-model and the restoration guys have done an awful job. The original painters came in and sprayed our cabinets a high gloss white when we wanted a satin finish. So they came back to touch up and sprayed over the high gloss with an egg-shel/satin finish. There are visible drip marks, cracks, etc. The contractor is arguing that it is wood and won't be perfect like laminate cabinets, however I know people have had custom made wood cabinets and I'm sure they don't look like this. What should I do? Am I being too much of a perfectionist? I have photos but don't know how to upload them for you guys to see. Help.

Comments (36)

• alexism
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that these were brand new birch wood cabinets never been stained or painted.

• alexism
    Original Author
    13 years ago
  • Related Discussions

White kitchen cabinet paint and trim paint - need help

Q

Comments (5)
    I'm painting my cabinets white right now, and had a hard time choosing the white. Funny how you can stand there staring at four white paint chips taped up to your cabinets and go nuts trying to decide which one looks best! I almost went with Simply White but ended up choosing White Dove. I went with Benjamin Moore Advance in satin. The people at the store recommended either Cabinet Coat or Advance for kitchen cabinets. I'm not familiar with SW Pro. But if you use BM paint, the satin might have enough of a shine for you. I started with satin thinking I might switch to semi-gloss, but the satin is really nice and has much more shine then I expected. I would use satin for the cabinets and semi-gloss or even gloss for the trim. But I like shiny trim! Good luck! I should actually be painting my cabinets right now!
    ...See More

Help! Our painter ruined our new kitchen

Q

Comments (11)
    You might be able to rub some thinner on the stained surfaces to pull out some of the color and then stain with the correct color, but this is a long shot. If there is any finish on the trim, then it needs to be stripped or sanded down to raw wood, and with the labor time involved in something like that, you may want to consider just replacing the trim to see which route would be more cost effective. Also, just because there was no contract doesn't always mean the painter has no obligation to fix something he screwed up. If he's an honorable guy and this is clearly his fault, then he should fix it for free or have his reputation damaged.
    ...See More

painter painted cabinet I didn't want painted! HELP!

Q

Comments (3)
    Bummer. You must feel terrible. I agree with funcolors that repainting is your best option, and also with paintguy that restripping would remove some of the original finish. You might also ask Fieldstone if it would be possible to purchase just the side panels, although that would undoubtedly be expensive. Still, it might be worth it if it gave you a better result. I've stripped quite a few pieces of furniture as well as some woodwork, and no matter what product I've used, it was always a messy, unpleasant job, especially stripping the woodwork because it had to be done in place. While some strippers will remove latex paint and leave the underlying oil paint fairly intact, I don't think any stripper could remove oil paint without disturbing the layers underneath it. Oil paint is harder to remove than latex and requires a stronger product.
    ...See More

Help from Painters... what questions to ask of cabinet painter

Q

Comments (0)
    I found someone who will spray my kitchen cabinets. What are the right questions to ask to end up with a good result. I'll be painting cherry stained maple cabinets a white or off white color. He already told me he does 3 coats. 1 oil base primer and 2 top coats of oil base paint. Thanks - Priscilla
    ...See More
  • marcolo
    13 years ago

Are you saying this is a freshly, professionally-painted cabinet?

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

alexis... I'm so sorry. I'm a novice... barely a novice. BUt I refinished on old wood bakers table that was assembled with birtch amongst other wood. It had to be stripped and sanded first. I painfully watched each brush stroke to avoid drips. We were going to do our own cabs but DH ademently felt that it needs to be done in a dust free enclosed environment. So we are opting for a clear finish on the wood. I'm not a picky person and probably one to let things go to a fault. But in your case I would be very upset. They are trying to pin the unexperienced consumer schtick onto you. There is no reason at all that there should be drips of that nature. That's flat out careless work. Again, I hope I don't come across harsh. I hope you still owe them half so you can peacefully resolve this. Good luck.

• alexism
    Original Author
    13 years ago

arcolo,
    Yes, these are brand new built birch wood cabinets that were built and painted with sprayers by "professionals". I am so upset because I took the contractor to a model home and these cabinets look nothing like the model home that I showed him. What should I do? The assistant contractor is coming tomorrow to re-evaluate whether or not they need to be repainted. They have already had a crew come out to touch up after the guys who sprayed the cabinets. I think they need to be completely stripped and repainted. The second crew claims that they are just going to make things worse by going over it again however they look awful something should be done? I really don't know what actions to take in this matter but don't want to pay any more money as we are a young couple and this is our first home.

*Remodelfla- I don't think you are being harsh at all. I have been very upset over this and agree that the workmanship is very poor. I have strongly voiced my concerns to the head contractor to no avail. Unfortunately he already has all of the money due to the fact that it was an insurance claim and we were under contract with the house.

• katsmah
    13 years ago

OMG, I feel sick for you. I don't see any way out other than having them stripped, sanded and repainted. Anymore paint on those cabinets is just going to make it look like even more of a hack job than it is.

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Oh, honey, NOOOOO! You are NOT being too picky! My DH and I primed and painted our new bare wood cabinets--we sprayed them, and we do NOT have those horrendous bumps and drips that you do. We are in no way professionals, and our cabinet doors look wonderful and SMOOTH. We fixed any boo boos immediately.

I would be beyond pi$$ed. This is shoddy workmanship, and they need to make it right. There may be a little cracking where the rail meets the stile, which is normal, but those bumps and runners are NOT. That is just inexcusable. I am angry WITH you! GRRRRRRR! And as remodelfla said, I hope you have some leverage with payment. They need to fix this!

I'm hoping someone with the same type of experience will chime in and offer you some advice!

• byronroad
    13 years ago

If this is being done under an insurance claim then call the insurance company or your agent and complain.

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

I am soooo sorry this has happened!! How can these people call themselves professionals??? Those cabinets look like they were painted by complete hacks! I think your contractor is right when he says that putting more paint on them in their current state isn't going to fix anything--only make things worse. Stripping, sanding, and starting all over is the only way to fix this IMO and I definitely wouldn't trust the job to these so-called painters. I'd also report them to the BBB and whatever other consumer agency you may have in your community.

• alexism
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We were under contract on this house and were set to close on August 30, 2010. On August 27, 2010 we were contacted by the seller's realtors that they had forgot to plug the refrigerator line when they moved out and the kitchen floor had received water damage. The entire downstairs was covered in the same type of wood flooring as in the kitchen and the house has a fairly open floor plan. As a result all of the wood floors had to be ripped out. Also, the lower kitchen cabinets' support had been extended so they had to be ripped out as well. We decided to proceed because we were promised that we could pick out all of the replacements and only pay the difference on upgrades and we were mostly packed up and had already told our landlord that we were moving out.
    The original cabinetry was Ken Moore custom white wood cabinets with thermofoil. The restoration guys said that it would take 4-8 weeks to get the same cabinets in or they could build custom wood cabinets in half the time and they could be designed to be inset and shaker style just like we had always wanted but we would have to pay to do the upper cabinets because they weren't affected and insurance wouldn't cover them. Also we would be getting granite and upgrading the wood floors to a 6"handscraped from a 3" oak plank wood floor. We were thrilled because we thought we would be getting our dream kitchen and only having to pay for the upgrades.

So we proceeded and the restoration company was supposed to be absolutely finished by the September 30th if not earlier. We had to pay our part for upgrades upfront in order for them to proceed with the job. The sellers who were also under contract with the company were pushing for the 30th because they did not want to make another mortgage payment. So fast forward to the 30th and all of the work wasn't quite completed we were assured that they wouldn't leave us high and dry and we could go ahead and close on the property even though the work wasn't complete. My husband and I were very hesitant but put our faith in the restoration company that they would hold up their end of the bargain. Also, if we delayed closing again we were facing mortgage rate extension fees, interest rate fees, etc.

Sorry this post is so long but felt the back-story needed to be included. I feel like I have been on an HGTV nightmare show. The contractor says the repairs are minor but he didn't even do a final walk-through as promised.

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

you'll probably have to complain to the insurance company. hold your ground tho - that is a terrible, terrible paint job! Shame on them!

your state should have a state insurance office also - if the insurance company doesn't make it right, file a complaint at the state level.

• caryscott
    13 years ago

Honestly I have thought more than a few folks on here have had unreasonable expectations - you are definitely not one of them. That is a pretty atrocious paint job. More paint isn't the answer - everything will need to be sanded back. Anyone trying to justify that is deluded. It's done so focus on finding a solution - If they are insisting that it's OK I would have serious doubts about whether they are capable of fixing it. Maybe the place who made the cabinets can recommend someone else. Good luck going forward.

• rollie
    13 years ago

Judging from the quality of the craftsmanship I seen in the pictures, even a perfect paint job couldnt make these cabinets acceptable. They look like they were built by a freshman high school shop class. The only piece that looks somewhat ready to be painted to begin with is the crown/rope molding, which they bought. It doesnt appear they had a carbide blade for any of the tools, nor a router, nor a planer, much less a sander. Shouldve never been allowed to be painted to begin with.

Complete hack job right from the beginning.

Sorry.

• alexism
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I added pictures of the model home that we originally took the contractor to see to let him know what we wanted the cabinets to look like. Also I added pictures of the original paint job. After the first paint job the painters didn't even want to come back to correct it. This is when they chose to do a high gloss finish which looked nothing like the model cabinets. They didn't believe that they had done a bad paint job either and were coerced into coming back by the contractor.

• jejvtr
    13 years ago

Alex

So sorry about your entire situation -

I will agree with others the cabs need to be stripped & repainted - spraying in a clean environment would be better than site painting - I would also be concerned about over spray getting on things you don't want painted.

The restoration company represents the homeowner's insurance company - So they don't have you or the homeowner's best interest. Their interests are with the bottom line to the insurance co - I would be concerned about the quality of the other work they have done in the home.

you have a huge leap of faith with regards to this company, the way the purchase of the home is now juxtaposed - Your best bet is to be pressuring the seller to pressure the ins co - restoration co. The seller could push that they will file an insurance complaint with the State ins dept - that may get some much needed answers here. Additionally I hope that you have secured a reputable inspector that can inspect the work completed

best of luck

• User
    13 years ago

I agree with Rollie. THese are the type of "custom" cabinets that everyone fears getting. They are the worst possible craftsmanship under the paint, and the paint's no peach either. Even if they were to be sanded back to the original wood, you wouldn't have cabinets worth putting a quality paint job or granite on. The cabinets are junk. The poor quality paint job is just the icing on a very bad cake. There really isn't enough lipstick in the world to disguise that pig. Time to start entirely over with new guys.

I'd fear for the quality and install of the wood floors now. And any other thing this "contractor" handled.

First step is to find out if the guy is actually a licenced and insured contractor. Your state contractor boards can help with this. IF the insurance company is in bed with these hacks, then it needs to be exposed to the light of day. Contact the president and each member of the board of directors of that insurance company with pictures. Know that because you aren't their client, they may not care.

The previous owner and your real estate agent has some culpability here as well. The previous owner did NOT transfer the house to you in the agreed upon condition. Unfortunately, only filing a lawsuit may end up rectifying that. Your real estate agent should have structured the property transfer to have a goodly escrow sum remain until the repair of the home was signed off by you.

Unfortunately, you're moved in, and the checks are cashed, and everyone has gotten their piece of the pie but you. And unfortunately, since no one is waiting on a big check here as an incentive, no one will probably care as much about making this right as you will. THat means that you need to document all stages of whatever this contractor decides to do for court purposes later. I'd talk to the previous homeowner and see if they can put any pressure on anyone, because it's right to give them a chance to make it OK, and if that didn't work, you have to decide if you can live with a hack job that really needs ripping out until you can afford to do something else, or if you want to spend the time and effort in the legal system.

This is an expensive lesson to learn. But the big lesson here is that if the house isn't the way it needs to be when the loan transfer occurs, then you've lost all leverage to ever make it right. Yes, it would have been expensive to wait until the fixes were done. It may have been cheaper than you having to rip this dreck out and/or going to court about the situation. Chalk that up to a "life's lesson", grab a bottle of wine, take a deep breath, and go get 'em!

• cheri127
    13 years ago

Another vote with Rollie and LWO that these cabinets were never ready to be painted in the first place. The painters clearly didn't think it was their job to prep the cabinets (if that was even possible). If I were them, I'd have refused to paint them at all or would have at least warned you that all of the existing imperfections were going to show through. I'd have the cabinets rebuilt. Sorry.

• abundantblessings
    13 years ago

Unfortunately, live wire oak is right. I can't open the link, but based on the photo marcolo provided and your additional posts, Alexism, you need to carefully document all of this as suggested. While I do not normally recommend pursuing legal action, in this case it may be wise to get a legal opinion now so you do not forfeit or otherwise damage your case should the insurance company not feel obliged to make this right. I'd also be concerned about whether proper steps were taken to thoroughly dry out the kitchen so you don't have mold issues. Good luck!

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

I totally agree with live wire oak. Every picture I looked at looked like the work of amateurs. Cheap amateurs. That t-strip between the wood floors and tile should have been one piece and has to be replace. People will step on it, you'll pull the vacuum, rolling luggage, or something across it, and it just won't hold up. They misfigured and had to cobble together that doorway.

This picture is a good one to show their inexperience.

They didn't sand before painting. The wood splinters stick out at the knob hole and the corner of the "picture frame" part of the door. They didn't smooth their caulk, and just left the globs and end points.

I am so sorry this happened to you. I hope you and your dh can both be tough and firm and not let these guys or the insurance company bully you into accepting this.

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

Wow, this is one for that Homes by Holmes or whatever that show is. It all needs to come out! I'm so ticked off for you right now I feel like coming over there and banging heads.

• beachpea3
    13 years ago

If you have not closed on the property - now is the time to get an attorney involved. Have him/her fight for you and insist on holding back a substantial amount of the proceeds of the sale at the closing... until such a time as you are satisfied with the workmanship - i.e - sanded and repainted or replaced or whatever works for you. This will push the seller into action to follow up with their insurance company, etc. They would have more clout with the insurance company and now they will be motivated! Good luck and keep us updated. We are all heartsick over your situation.

• onedog3cats
    13 years ago

WOW...I am so sorry you are going through this. I cannot believe someone is passing this work off as professional! I agree with the others....you need to document everything!! Dates, times, who you spoke with, what was discussed, etc. Do you have any paperwork detailing their specific scope of work? Gosh...I am sick over this for you. Good luck to you!!

• theballs
    13 years ago

I feel terrible for you. Your pics clearly show why I do everything myself. I can live with mistakes I make, but pro's should know better.

If I were the cabinet builder, I would be embarrassed to tell people that I had sold you that job, built the cabinets, and then installed them.

If I were the painters, I would be embarrassed that not only did I do a terrible job, but that I didnt even warn you that the cabinets were poorly made.

And if I were the contractor, I would be embarrassed AND guilty that I ever let this situation happen.

I hope you havent paid them all fully. If that were my home, I would not let any of them set foot in the door again.

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

Are you sure all these cabinets were new? Some just look too beat up, almost as if they were taken out of an old remodel and doctored up to get them to work with other picks.

• alexism
    Original Author
    13 years ago

jterrilynn- yes these were brand new cabinets all new wood and everything we gave the cabinet maker the shaker door stye design with the little inset trim.

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

Ok, I asked because years ago I used a custom cabinet maker when I was doing a gut on a house. He used some old cabinet boxes that were in good shape and some new and added my pick for door style. He did a nice job though and it saved me some money. I swear you got some refurbished stuff in there that was on it's last leg.

• alexism
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Unfortunately we have already closed on the house. We closed on the 30th of September. The seller's had already given the restoration the insurance check. I think that because they had already moved they didn't really care too much about what was going on with the house. They didn't ever really get involved. Before, we closed the restoration company wasn't quite finished with everything but claimed that they would finish and it would be perfect and up to our standards. At that time we had them sign paperwork stating that they would finish up/ fix the work on the wood floors and cabinets.

A new crew of wood floor guys came in today and were astonished at the condition of the wood floors. They are supposed to be coming back on Monday to repair the floors. They said the only thing that they could really do was replace the trim pieces and cut out the pieces that were buckling and inject them with glue. As for the spaces and scratches they said that they can repair that with wood putty and stain. Thoughts?

The contractor right below the general contractor is supposed to come by today to re-assess the damage and see what can be done. Although they already did this last week before the touch up crew came in this week and it is basically in the same condition. The only thing they did was lightly sand and re-paint the cabinets. Based on your responses the whole cabinets need to be replaced. What should I tell the GC? He hasn't even came to walk the place himself, I guess I should send him a link to the photos as well? They claim I am being too picky and that I am wrong in expecting perfection from a raw product (wood). Maybe I should contact the insurance company as well?

• weissman
    13 years ago

I would get a lawyer and sue both the seller and the restoration company. I'm not joking. You never should have closed on the property.

• alexism
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The images were all taken on my iphone. I can only imagine what it will look like to you guys on my dslr.

• abundantblessings
    13 years ago

Reread this excerpt from Live Wire Oak:

"I'd fear for the quality and install of the wood floors now. And any other thing this "contractor" handled.

First step is to find out if the guy is actually a licenced and insured contractor. Your state contractor boards can help with this. IF the insurance company is in bed with these hacks, then it needs to be exposed to the light of day...

Know that because you aren't their client, they may not care.

The previous owner and your real estate agent has some culpability here as well. The previous owner did NOT transfer the house to you in the agreed upon condition. Unfortunately, only filing a lawsuit may end up rectifying that. Your real estate agent should have structured the property transfer to have a goodly escrow sum remain until the repair of the home was signed off by you."

You need legal advice pronto as you've already gone too far down an ill (or non-) advised path. While those of us who respond can offer empathy and suggestions, this will not protect you. Discuss this with an attorney now or be content to live with compounding mistakes.

• artemis78
    13 years ago

I hate to say it, but I agree with weissman here. Closing probably shouldn't have gone forward, and even if it did, the insurance money should have gone into an escrow account to be paid to the restoration company *after* the work was completed. They have no incentive whatsoever to do anything to fix it at this point, and I'm not so sure the insurance company will care much either (though it's possible, and definitely worth checking into). A lawyer is about the only thing that might prompt them to do something about it (and that's assuming you have good documentation of the original agreement, which I assume was supposed to replace like for like from the insurance perspective, and they claimed these cabinets would be comparable to the originals?)

Horrible situation, and I'm sorry you're in the middle of it---but no, that work is *not* acceptable (or anywhere in the vicinity of acceptable). Our 96-year-old moulding and casework, which have been smashed into by generations of small children, hit with large pieces of furniture, and puttied and repainted about 10 gazillion times, don't look that bad, even in their worst spots. Bumps in the paint are one thing, but those pictures show damage to/problems with the cabinetry, not the paint itself---paint can't hide that (though the poor quality of the paint job certainly isn't helping, and I agree that the painters should have refused to paint them).

Good luck!

• johnmayersquare
    13 years ago

UGH...I feel your pain! I just had our kitchen cabinets painted(BM Linen White) and am very upset also. The finish stinks! We had the painters touch them up originally.....which came out horribly...then they took the upper doors back to their shop after my husband told our general contractor that we weren't happy with brush strokes, roller marks, dirt, bugs painted into the finish, etc, etc...and they looked better when they brought them back...but after the painters left, I opened the cabinet doors up and the insides were AWFUL...I'm just going to have to do them over myself...but this is why we hired professionals and paid them a LOT of money. I wanted a professional job done and didn't get it. It is just a very confrontational and ugly thing to have to go through with these type of people, and I just can't deal with it, so I'll end up trying to fix them myself. I feel like I did my homework, quizzed them on the process that they used to finish/paint them and it was all for nothing, I guess...If you want something done right, I guess you DO have to do it yourself, LOL!

• macybaby
    13 years ago

It does appear your problem is with the seller, and since you closed, you may not have much recourse at this point. You never had a contract with the restore company, the seller did.

You closed on a house with a promise something would be done a certain way, but you didn't hold any funds in escrow to ensure that it would be done up to your expectations. But how would you know? Several of us have learned the hard way too - those on the other side (realtors, restore company, insurance co) took advantage of your trust, plain and simple.

I'd talk to a Real Estate lawyer to see if you have a leg to stand on. Like others said, the only way to fix this is to take everything out and start over. Another coat of paint will only make it worse.

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

DH does real estate litigation and will often have cases like this. He has taken clients before the state contractor board, too.

Good luck to you. The job is unacceptable.

• farmhousegirl
    13 years ago

Oh my, I just saw your kitchen for the first time. I'm so sorry. I would call more painters to get estimates to fix this and take them to court.

We had a similar problem with bathroom renovators. They were horrible and we are still feeling the pain. They screwed up so many things. Luckily we had put some money on a credit card and were able to get the VISA company to refund back $2500...which we had to pay to someone else to fix the problems. If you have put any money on a credit card, they may be able to dispute with the contractor. Just a thought...otherwise call the Attorney General of your state to report this. They CAN intervene. I am in Pennsylvania, and they will try to get solutions.

It looks like a beautiful kitchen. Please hang in and know it can be fixed. Where do you live?Good luck!