SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moonkat99

Help! Bill, other tile gurus - Last Minute Sealer/Grout Question

moonkat99
15 years ago

I'm x-posting from the flooring forum because I'm desperate with a last minute scheduling snafu.

I just laid a slate tile floor in my entryway. My plan was to clean & seal it tomorrow night, then grout & seal again. Meanwhile, my GC just told me he's planning on sending over the guys who are replacing the front door, including installing a completely new door frame, on Thursday. (It's now Tuesday eve) Meaning they'll be walking on the tile, with a very heavy door.

Tile guy doesn't want them walking on the tiles before it's grouted. I'm reading the sealer instructions, & it says wait to seal for 72 hours after the surface has been wet. Really? So I clean the tiles tomorrow night, then wait 72 hours before sealing, & meanwhile no heavy traffic on the entry? Or should I forget the pre-grout sealing step & clean & grout tomorrow afternoon & let the door guys do their thing on Thursday?

I guess what it comes down to is how important is the pre-grout sealing step when it comes to slate? & how long do I really need to wait after washing before I use the sealer?

Sealer, btw, is Glaze 'n Seal multi-purpose Sealer.

Thanks!

Comments (3)