SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
granada222_gw

Front facing kitchen window dilemma

10 years ago

Here's an issue I haven't seen come up in the time I've been lurking on this forum. The kitchen in our 60 year old house faces the front, and is at ground level. Because it's so incredibly small (approx 10x7), we are going to be adding on to our house by bumping out forward, in the direction of the street. This would mean that the distance from the street to the kitchen part of the house would be about 30 feet.

Even with our current kitchen, which has two smaller windows, we sometimes feel like we are on display when cleaning up the dishes in the evening. So, we are trying to figure out:

1. how many windows, and how big should they be? (Probably 2 smaller and separated, or 2 or 3 together, like in the attached picture.)

2. what window treatments, if any, should we use? I am not a big fan of the options that I know of for kitchen use, and judging by virtually all of the kitchen photos I see, almost no one puts curtains or other on their kitchen windows.

In the picture, you can see my neighbor's kitchen, where they did an addition similar to what ours might look like, about 2 years ago, and they still can't figure out what to do about curtains/shades/blinds for the big windows that look out on the street. Generally I love lots of windows, but I'm not sure what to do in this case.

Comments (23)