SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cpartist_gw

I wish Mr Murpht would visit somewhere else!

cpartist
13 years ago

Actually I shouldn't complain much since the rest of the apartment so far is going well. Before our walls were up we worked out our lighting with our gc and the electrician. They convinced me to start from the corner and work my way out, even though I had my doubts. I should have trusted my instincts because the way they laid it out, one recessed can is just about 3" off center of the center of my cooktop. I have an Electrolux glass and steel range hood centered over the cooktop and a backsplash special feature wall for behind the area. It looks odd but I was told I wouldn't notice it once everything was in. Like heck I wouldn't!

So today I finally said it has to be changed. They come to change it Friday morning.

We were supposed to have all our granite installed last Wed. Notice I said the word all? My sink area is installed and the breakfast bar facing the sink counter is installed. The small space between my fridge and pantry is installed as is the long L run where my cooktop is. So what's the problem?

When we went to the yard to lay out our granite on our typhoon bordeaux, we realized that instead of having a seam at the L of our counter, it would be better to pay extra to have the L hand cut and put the seam 18" down from the L where our appliance garage was. The appliance garage is at the end of the run. Next to the garage is the fridge. the last piece after the seam was supposed to be 24" wide.

So what did they do? They cut the L 2" too long and the extra piece 2" too short, so instead of the seam being right where the appliance garage starts, it's 2" in. The short piece was cut 22" instead of 24". If the granite were a quiet pattern, I could have lived with it, but the pattern is very busy, and the cut will stick out if I had allowed it.

So they went to find a matching piece. They were just back today with a piece from the same lot. No luck. The patterning and color weren't even close. I think they are now looking for a piece that is close to replace the whole cooktop run. At least they are agreeing with me. But my tiler is almost done with my bathrooms and needs to start my backsplash soon.

The colors in my whole condo were built around my granite. After my cabinets, it was the first thing I picked. Then there are the minor annoyances like light fixtures that came in wrong the first time, tile for my bathroom that was supposed to be a soft tan coming in a red/gray, etc. (We decided against using pebbles for the shower floor and instead decided on flat odd shaped onyx. The mbth looks even better than if I had used the pebbles.

But please, Mr Murphy has outworn his welcome. I wish he'd move out!

Comments (3)