SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susied

Need your advice on island height problem

Susied3
10 years ago

Hello once again!
I keep learning that doing a DIY can be a hard learning experience and this latest is a stumper! (For me anyway)
Hopefully y'all can get me straightened out.
Here is the issue.... We had the island cabinets built at regular cabinet height. With no toe kick on the outer side to appear furniture like. We do have the toe kick in the working side. It has no overhang for seating.
We bought 2" walnut for the top.
The 1/2 inch tile is being replaced with 1" terracotta. I wanted the island sitting on top of the tile for the seamless look.
If we do it this way, it will be WAY too high! We are tiling up to the perimeters, DH wouldn't concede to tiling underneath.
So, 35" + 1", + 2 " would be an island height of 38". I mocked it up and it's way too high for me, I would have to use a step stool to chop veggies!
My question is this, would you tile up to the island and take away the look aiming for, do a thinner 1" top, which also takes away from the thick wood look?
How tall is too tall and what is the overall height of your cabinets? What am I missing here?
Thanks so much! I want to get this island moved to the kitchen this week, it's been sitting in my family room for a year, and my excitement last week when it came to installing it turned to despair when I actually paid attention to it.
Thank you!

Comments (13)