SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michoumonster

In need of serious help designing my hutch

michoumonster
12 years ago

Hi all, I am trying to design two hutch areas that will surround my kitchen windows. Below the windows will be a banquette and breakfast table (our main eating place). On one side of one hutch will be a small desk area.

I want the hutch areas to be where I put cookbooks, hide the wifi router, and place snack foods, cereal boxes and coffee/tea for easy access from the banquette. Also, to provide some good counter space to place toaster, coffee maker, tea kettle, microwave, and various dishes for serving.

For some reason, no matter how hard i have been trying, i cannot make my hutches look nice, furniture-like, cozy, or functional, etc... Also, I am not sure how much glass cabinetry i should use since i am in earthquake country and this is where we will be sitting and eating most of the time. this is arguably the most used and viewable space of our kitchen, so i don't want to mess it up..

here is what i have attempted. it just looks off somehow. can you offer me some design guidance, tips, pics to inspire/shamelessly copy?

thanks very much!!

this is my kitchen layout

Comments (19)