SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
curlyelle_gw

Total kitchen remodel - where to start?

CurlyElle
12 years ago

I'm a brand new member and I have a couple of questions regarding a new kitchen remodel project. I would be grateful for thoughts on one or more of these questions.

We just bought a house that needs substantial cosmetic updating. I would like a 36" gas cooktop, a double wall oven (trying to decide between 27" and 30"), a french door refrigerator, and a dishwasher.

We have about $6K budgeted for all the appliances in total, so we can go mid-range.

Here are my questions:

1) We are hoping to not have to completely tear out the cabinets due to the expense, but the new appliances will definitely mean reworking a lot of the cabinets. Is this a recipe for disaster? Should I start from scratch on cabinets or buy appliances to fit the existing cabinets as much as possible?

2) It's a galley layout with eat-in at one end. We are thinking of putting in a breakfast bar in the eat-in facing out toward the kitchen. We could only fit a two-person bar. For resale, would it be better to stick with a table? There is ample dining space in the combined living/dining room.

3) I've heard that it's a good idea to buy all one brand of appliances so the stainless steel matches. After reading lots of reviews, I'm leaning toward Whirlpool Gold. Any experiences? I'm especially concerned about the wall oven as Whirlpool is not known for ovens.

4) For the amount of money I'd spend on a cooktop and double wall oven, I could get a really nice range. I bake and cook a LOT so the double oven is appealing, I think I may be romanticizing the idea of a double wall oven. Thoughts? Is it worth it?

Thank you SO much.

Comments (7)