SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rmkitchen

follow-up: sterling in dishwasher, it works!

rmkitchen
15 years ago

In a few different threads I wrote about putting our sterling in the dishwasher -- always have, always want to!

People have varying opinions on this, but when we moved to this country (USA) in 2001 and unpacked the silver, we started putting it in our dishwasher(s). It went first into a dishwasher that is older than I (imagine that ...), which was quickly replaced with a mid-range Bosch. We lived for six months in a rental (with a different water supply than the house we'd sold) with a rental-grade GE dishwasher, and then into this house (in another state) with a top-of-the-line KitchenAid. Never ever had a problem with the sterling.

And then one sad day this past August, I noticed our sterling was coming out of the dishwasher with big black tarnish spots all over it. At first I was just confused, thinking maybe it'd been a while since I'd polished it, so I polished those few pieces but the following day they came out of the dishwasher splotchy black again. While I do like polishing, I like occasional polishing. And by "occasional," I mean twice a year. Max. So we stopped putting it in the dishwasher and I was handwashing. I was sad. I even started to look at stainless flatware.

(I love the sterling because it's both sentimental and pretty, and at this stage of my life surrounded by sippy-cups and tiny utensils on dinosaur / Spiderman placemats, well, both of those made me feel good.)

Anyway, to make a short story even longer (!), due to our remedial sleuthing, we realized it was the detergent. Ever since we moved to the States we'd used Electrasol in various formulations (you know, with JetDry, without, etc.), but this past session, based on a recent Consumer Reports article, we used Cascade. We bought some more Electrasol and washed the sterling (in the dishwasher) with it every night for a week -- fine! No problems. We tried the Cascade again one night and the sterling had the black spots on it again.

So, we're back to Electrasol full-time now, and I'm not crying into sudsy dishwater every night, handwashing flatware!

I think the lingo here is "YMMV": your mileage may vary. I don't know if everyone will have the same clear experience as we, but it's worth a try!

Comments (17)