SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juliejoyce_gw

Granite and Kitch Remodel Rookie Questions

juliejoyce
10 years ago

Hi,
We bought our house 2 years ago and I hate the kitchen. The lighting is awful, the laminate countertops are awful and the flooring is awful. The cabinets are okay. They are good quality and are maple with a honey stain. I would prefer white, but they are not old at all and we can't afford to replace them. Our kitchen opens up to a room that we now use as a toy room. Our kitchen is a U with a peninsula (I think - when looking at it - it actually looks like a C, but I think it is called a U in the kitchen world - ha!) One of my biggest goals of replacing the counters is to have an overhang where I can put stools so the kids to eat breakfast and probably most meals as we rarely use the formal dining room. I would LOVE to rip out the peninsula and do a long island into the room that is now a play room - but since that is more than we can afford, I am thinking of making the overhang somewhat circular to make it come into the room as much as possible without a lot of construction. Does this make sense? Has anyone done anything similar? Also, can you show me picks of your light granite with honey stained maple cabinets? Lastly, the man at the stone store tried to talk me out of Quartz. I love Granite, but am nervous because from what I have read (on here), it seems like the lighter colors are harder to care for. I have 3 boys (6, 3 and 1.5) so I can imagine that the counters will be taking a fair amount of abuse. Sorry for the long post - any tips, thoughts, words of wisdom and pics would be much appreciated! I will post a pic of my kitchen as soon as I figure it out :o)

Comments (11)