SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steph2000

Pondering Stools

steph2000
12 years ago

While I await final measurements for the kitchen and get deadly serious about finalizing the layout, I've been pondering what I want for stools. I know, I know, I should be pondering appliances, but that is just not inspiring me...

Whether we ultimately go with an island or peninsula, I want design decisions made that function - and that includes USING the seating we are building in.

What are your thoughts on:

1 - Swivel versus non-swivel? (The sales and design folks I talk to are adament they must swivel to function - and emphasize that otherwise, floors can be marked up and you have to move them around too much to sit, etc. I usually don't like the look of the ones that swivel, but if we go peninsula, it would be pretty slick to be able to turn around to face the lr/entry area when sitting at the bar)

2 - Upolstered versus wood/metal? (Seems fabric would be nice for comfort, but not so sure about cleanability and all that)

3 - Arms versus no arms (Again, if they are going to get heavy use, are arms a bit deal? Does it make it harder to slip in and out of the chairs?)

4 - Back versus no back (It really seems the chairs will NOT get used except for brief periods without them. Even in my 20's, I couldn't sit at the college bar for long without a backed stool. However, it seems it will really impact the visual line.)

Finally, any pics of stools that you love?

Oh, oh, if form wasn't so seductive - begging to be prioritized over function!

Comments (46)