SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kris_p_gw

Modern Country in Dark Maple???

kris.p
15 years ago

I thought I had this all figured out. I want a white country kitchen. Shaker cabinets, inset doors, cup pulls, apron-front sink, and a sink buildout in a dark espresso (to look like a piece of furniture) for some contrast & visual impact. Cool/neutral color scheme. Throw in a glass tile backsplash, stainless appliances and a more modern, stainless hood and voila  you have modern country. That whole idea (and the months of planning that has gone alone with it) has been shot dead by my husband (gotta love him). The bottom line is that weÂre going with another supplier who does not offer painted cabinets and itÂs not in our budget to send them out. So weÂre going with dark stained maple  probably a ginger or espresso since IÂm not a fan of light colored wood.

Unfortunately, the change in cabinet color affects EVERY SINGLE element in my kitchen from the countertop choice to the tile to the wall color. (ArghÂ) I would like to keep it as neutral as possible (possibly still use the white Carrara marble countertops, gray/green wall color I had previously selected) but the cabinets are a more warm tone.

Can I still maintain a casual, country feel with cabinetry that is typically more sleek and modern? Has any of you ever seen a "country" kitchen with maple? To me the lack of grain looks so "sleek & modern" that I can't see it working.

I so badly want to get the "country look" I wanted, but I'm worried it's not possible anymore. Should I stop fighting it and just go with a modern kitchen?

If anyone has any pictures of a country kitchen with darker maple cabinets, I would be super grateful!!

Comments (5)