SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quackup_gw

How to update kitchen on a budget

quackup
13 years ago

Hi,

We want to update this kitchen but don't want to spend a ton. We'd like it to have more of a cottage-feel. White cabinets (maybe paint or refinish the doors) and new pulls/knobs- and we plan on getting a stainless (counter depth) fridge and stove/microwave. I'd like to wrap the fridge somehow (casing) or add a wall to enclose it so it's not such an eyesore.

What are your suggestions - want to change up the island as well - maybe with storage for books at the end. The one base cabinet (on the right), I feel, could be a shorter depth (it tends to block the walkway) - but that would mean replacing the counters, etc.

Not in love with the counters at all - but that would mean big $$ right? We'd prefer lighter counters but not sure it's in the budget right now. I'd also love taller cabinets but that would be all new, not just refinishing the doors or paint.

Just looking for some budget-friendly suggestions for now as well as pics if you have them! Ready to start on this in the Spring but need some visuals!

Thanks!!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (29)

• quackup
    Original Author
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here are the pics hope it works

Here is a link that might be useful:

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Not intending to be obnoxious, but I readily admit I've lost patience with reading postings in which there is a good kitchen that the owner doesn't appreciate. I believe that a kitchen should be a work room and that there are other rooms that should be the focal point of the house. You seem to own a clean, well-lighted space that doesn't offer something beyond that that you've decided you need. Your use of the bluegreen in the foreground is either an attempt to make the room look coordinated for this photo or it's "you." Which is it?

If "cottage" means "World War I era white cupboards and subway tiles and industrial style lights and cup pulls" then you own the wrong kitchen. But if "cottage" means cozy and informal with hints of historicity within the modern style, you're doing just fine.

I'm sure others will join you in describing your "eyesore" and such, but I won't. If you want to change the feel, go at it, but unless you really need major physical changes, you're just humoring yourself here and spending money that might be used elsewhere. This is a nice kitchen. Save the big money for 20 years--you're gonna feel much more out of date then and the change will be more fun. In time, you might want to connect the room to the outdoors and will add a deck/outdoor space out the left side of the photo.

On one of the other threads, there was a good explanation of how to rout out cupboard doors like yours to insert glass. You could put fabric inside the glass if you don't want the stuff to show. For example, a toille print on cupboards and windows and some strong-colored glass accent pieces and some other items with different shades of wood tones would give this place some pizzaz, and you wouldn't have to marry it for years and years. Paint the door to match the woodwork. A solid color fabric would give another look. A print or solid with a colored band of edging that picks up the new paint color would be another look. A new plaid would be another option.

A repaint of the table and chairs would make them look less alien in this room Or go get a different dining set that has the feel you're looking for? Something interesting in a couple of rugs? Some period-appropriate plates displayed on the soffit? A more cozy color or two on the wall? Art work? Put a freestanding bookshelf on the side of the refrig or under the window and treat yourself to a cute lamp and a good piece of street fair art pottery. Stencil something. Get some houseplants or find another way to bring nature in.

Go choose a new light fixture or two? or three? with the features you love in the "cottage" kitchens. But don't choose anything that needs to be babied; get a dust-happy one that you won't hate after a few months.

Unless you're crazy for white, white, white, go get some different plates. Try a mis-match of dishes for a while and see if you are comfortable with it.

There is no fancy backsplash/trimming above the turned-up part of the countertop. What would you like there--color? texture? placidity? action?

• Related Discussions

How to update this 80's kitchen on a budget?

Q

Comments (30)
    Regarding the "how well can you paint the cabinets if they are laminate" question. A very good question that I can perhaps answer. I had what appears to be the same cabinets in my kitchen. I hated them and wanted to paint them for what I thought was going to be a year. Turned out to be about 4 1/2-5 years before they were demo'd, and they definitely could have gone much longer. I got up one Saturday morning and started slapping on water-based Kilz with a little foam roller. After I'd done most of them I realized I'd forgotten to wash and de-grease them as I'd intended. Too late. So they had the 1 coat of Kilz, 2 coats of blue-green Benjamin Moore latex eggshell. Not cabinet coat, not anything fancy, no gloss coat, no tricks. In fact, a friend who had never painted before helped on a few cabinets. Actual painting time was short -- the only thing that made it take awhile was drying time between coats. I painted the insides as well, including the horizontal contact surfaces. I stored heavy crockery on those shelves, which I scraped across the painted surfaces, and I saw only tiny scratches on those particular surfaces by the time I demo'd. The cabinet fronts were perfect. I don't have dogs who scratch at cabinets for their treats, or kids who play "carpenter" and hammer on them, but they definitely held up well, particularly for the extremely casual way I painted them. If you take a little care, there's every reason to believe your results should be at least as good, if not better. Their slab surfaces made them extremely easy to paint by roller and brush. On mine, the oak strip was a component of the cabinet and could not be removed without leaving a big gap. But I believe several companies made cabinets like this, so yours may be different.
    ...See More

Honey oak trim, small kitchen, flooring redo

Q

Comments (1)
    If you think the foot print of the kitchen will CHANGE when you renovate, there isn't much that can be done right now. I would replace the tile with an easily removable product (such as vinyl plank) and then make your decision about tomorrow, well...tomorrow. If you don't like the idea of having to replace the flooring once more, then use your own money to purchase the kitchen TWICE. Yep. Measure the kitchen's foot print (wall to wall...not cabinet to cabinet) and purchase (with your own money) that amount OVER AND ABOVE the amount the insurance company will cover. Now you put that flooring in storage for future use. If you go this route, you will IGNORE the wood tones. Yes...even if it clashes. Why you ask? Because you would be locking yourself into the 'colour circular argument'. That is to say the look of TODAY'S kitchen will dictate TODAY'S flooring. And TODAY'S flooring will then dictate TOMORROW'S kitchen. Oh dear. If you REALLY WANT a new kitchen (gutting it and getting what you really want) then pick a floor you LOVE and will LOVE to build around in the future. That means living with a clash for a few years. That's fine. It will motivate you to get the kitchen reno done as soon as possible (I hate colour clashes...they drive me to drink!). But only you can make that decision. If you want to make nice with oak trim (which may sound nice but is probably builder grade) you will be locking yourself into a colour palette that will NEVER vary. If you are OK with that, then have fun. If you are NOT OK with that then ignore the oak and get what you WANT to work with.
    ...See More

Kitchen before & after. Updating a dark wood 70s kitchen on a budget.

Q

Comments (12)
    hey lauribet - thank you! Yes, I think they go equally well with warm and cool tones. I'd describe Semonia as a a warmer grey. We have a lot of wood trim throughout our house (woohoo 70s decor haha). I wanted something modern but wouldn't look weird with all the wood, and think Semonia works really well. We love these floors -- have had them for 1.5 years now and they look good as new, even with our toddler smashing pots and pans on them. Good luck with your remodel! how fun!
    ...See More

Help! New home updating Kitchen. Small budget

Q

Comments (24)
    The photos are really blurry so it's difficult to see what's going on exactly with the cabinets and countertops. It looks like a very spacious kitchen with interesting floors and lots of light. So that's great! I think your ideas to change out light fixtures is excellent. You can really add some of your personality that way without a huge expense or effort. If you have things to display on shelves in the eating area, some wood shelves could be nice. Otherwise you might consider some art to bring in color and personality. I would highly recommend just buying new hardware and not trying to paint "bronze" over the existing hardware. Hardware is not that expensive and is very easy to change (as long as you get the same size). A real metal finish will look so much better than paint. However, the idea in general to replace hardware to add more of your style is great. Usually with a farmhouse sink you need a base cabinet that's ready to accommodate that style of sink. So I'm not sure how successful you will be at cutting into an existing cabinet and quartz countertop to retrofit a farmhouse sink. Maybe someone else here has experience doing that, but it seems like you risk ruining your nice countertops if it's not done properly. Bringing in some more warmth and rustic with a wood farmhouse table sounds great too. I would be a bit hesitant to paint white cabinets just another shade of white unless you strongly dislike the one that is in there and can't work with it. Right now the white cabinets seem to work well with the countertops and doing a proper job of painting cabinets takes a lot of sanding and prep so I don't expect it to be an inexpensive endeavor. I personally would stick to painting the walls for now.
    ...See More
  • diychicken
    13 years ago

Painting is a really affordable way to make a big difference. White cabinets would look very nice and fresh, and would help give you the cottage look you are trying to get. If you paint your cabinets, I would definitely paint your walls. Otherwise, it is going to be too much white, and your cabinets will just blend in instead of being highlighted. Some other inexpensive changes would be new cabinet pulls, outlet covers, light fixtures. Your floor is very pretty and will go with almost anything. I do agree with the previous poster that the teal on the table seems out of place. The shape of the table I love. You can either tie it together by repeating that color somewhere else in the room, or you can repaint or stain the table. New curtains would be an inexpensive change, and also a place to pick up the teal color if you wish. Hope that helps give you some ideas!

• oldhouse1
    13 years ago

Quackup, I believe you have a very nice kitchen as well but I also believe you have every right to make whatever changes you want in your own kitchen. People who love to cook often feel that the kitchen should be a focal point in their home. I don't fault you for having a nice kitchen and I don't fault you for wanting to change it either. I'm sorry I don't have any specific advice for you I just wanted to say go for the changes if it will make you happier in your own space.

• quackup
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK -

Not exactly the response I was expecting. We just bought the house and this is one of the pics that was in the brochure so I used it. Not my kitchen table - obviously staged by the realtor. It may be a nice kitchen but it's not our style. I've seen other kitchens that are similar (but with refinished cabinets) and new appliances and possibly a new island or counters and it takes on a whole new look or feel, which is what we're going for. Obviously it's a nice kitchen - just not "our kitchen" yet. We spend a lot of time in the kitchen so we'd like it to be more our taste.

Your post did come off as obnoxious, by the way - anytime you start a sentence that way - you are "intending" to be obnoxious. This was my first post (I've been lurking for awhile) and I feel like this last response is filled with a lot of anger for some reason. Isn't this a kitchen forum (many posts of which are remodeling jobs). I think WE'LL decide where we spend our money and on what - thank you. We are just looking for ideas right now.

I'm not looking to change it up with just accents (plants, plates, etc) - we want it to reflect our style so we are planning on at the very least refacing the cabinets, new pulls, doing a backsplash and painting the walls. I don't want to pull out all of the cabinets and once we paint/reface them, I doubt we'll have to change the counters at all. Obviously we can't change the layout too much, which we're ok with - otherwise we wouldn't have purchased it to begin with.

Just looking for some ideas -- we don't want to tear anything out, just update it to reflect US and I would prefer to spend $20,000, not $80,000.

• quackup
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks DIY Chicken for your ideas. Sorry, I should have stated that's not my table. This is the staged photo I used from the brochure from the realtor! It gives people a good idea of what the kitchen looks like now. Again a nice kitchen, just not our style. Painting the cabinets white, with new pulls and lighting, will give it more our taste, I think. And you are right, we definitely need to paint the walls. They are very blah right now. Backsplash too I think would brighten it up.

Old House - Thanks for your kind response!!

• User
    13 years ago

You've never said exactly what "budget" means to you. If it indeed means $20,000, then you've got a ton of other choices. For $20,000 you can have a whole new budget kitchen, cabinets, counters, and all. You'd have to bring some DIY to the table, but if you want something that says "YOU", then that might be the way to go because it then lets you tweak the layout to work better and to not "settle" for something non functional or not your style just because it was in the house you bought.

"Refacing" isn't a cheap option, if you're on a "budget". The doors and drawer fronts are the most expensive part of the cabinet and it can cost you from 50% to 150% the cost of all new cabinets. Of course, it will depend on your DIY skills and the quality of cabinets you would possibly consider replacing your current ones with, but refacing wouldn't be at the top of my list for a budget change. Painting would be. However, painting need not mean "white". There are a ton of other colors that say "cottage" besides white. A soft yellow or sage green or smoky blue could work. If you're not comfortable with color for all of the cabinets, just do the island/walls in a color and maybe change out the island top to a butcher block.

If you panel in your fridge, you'll need to change the soffit over it to a deeper one to match the rest of the look. Before you do that, I'd cut a hole in it there above the fridge and see if there is anything in it. (Use a mirror on a stick and flashlight.) If there isn't, then I'd think about tearing out that soffit entirely and replacing it with some extended crown molding. The paint can tie it all together and you'll never know that it was added at a later time.

If you want the most budget of all makeovers, then I'd just paint the island a gingham red that would look great with those oak cabinets and use some red accents like buffalo plaid or toile. That could hold you until you could save more money for a complete redo to more your taste, if that's a consideration.

• oldhouse1
    13 years ago

Quackup, No problem. I sensed you were fairly new on the forum as am I. I just haven't had the courage to post anything yet. There are some wonderful and giving people on this forum who are more then willing to share their comments and expertise. I greatly respect and appreciate those who are willing to answer everyones questions. I haven't posted anything yet but I have learned so much since I have found this forum. Good luck on your kitchen update. You have a wonderful space to work with.

• steff_1
    13 years ago

Hi quackup, so glad you posted your questions. Your kitchen is already nice, but there's always room for improvement and to have something that reflects your style.

You've already been given good advice on how to get the cottage look you want so I'll just add some ideas on couple other things.

Going by the proportions in your picture it doesn't look like counters would be out of the question if you have a $20K budget and you aren't replacing your cabinets. Check around and get competitive pricing on something you like. Look for sales and negotiate installation.

If you get new counters then pass on the standard 4" backplash and tile above the counters. This will give you an opportunity to get creative and make the kitchen a little more special and personal.

You mentioned taller cabinets and that's a great look. You could leave the cabinets as they are for now and then replace just the uppers when you get to that point. It might be possible to add glass cabinets on top of your existing, but that's for the cabinet experts to confirm.

Post your questions as you have them. I look forward to seeing your progress.

• diychicken
    13 years ago

OK, I totally misunderstood. I was thinking that you were just looking for quick fixes that would make the most impact. I hope you didn't think that I was trying to be mean- I was just looking for any little thing that you could change if you wanted to. Your actual budget allows you to do some really fun things!

I would definitely do a tile backsplash. I love them and they really add a lot to a kitchen. I can't really tell what color the counters are, just that they are darker. That might look nice against white cabinets. I really have no idea what new countertops cost, but if they are something that you really don't like maybe that would be the best way to spend your money.

I like your idea of repainting the cabinets yourself. I am in the same situation as you are- my cabinets are a golden oak color and are in great condition, but I just don't like them and want to refinish them. Being able to do the painting yourself will free up your money to be spent elsewhere. :)

Also with the cabinets, you can add some decorative features to them like crown moulding (not sure what would happen with the soffit though) and footing. Adding glass to the doors is another option. Tall cabinets would be really nice to add someday (I love mine), but I don't think that they are a must have right now.

Again, I hope I helped! I am new here also, and I understand that you want your kitchen to be the way YOU want it!

• eandhl
    13 years ago

I was never a white painted cab kit person until I started spending time here. I think the people that have painted their cabs some sort of white, gray, etc are very pleased and I am always amazed at the big difference it makes. If you do decide to paint you might look into some moulding for the ends that appear to be plywood or beadboard. If the double cab over the refrig lines up with the frig & you are going to paint you could move it out and add a panel on the exposed side. Good luck.

• annkathryn
    13 years ago

I had a similar kitchen (no island though) and spent about $15K to do the following:

Paint cabinets white
    Add ubatuba granite
    New sink, double oven, stove and microwave
    Replace trash compactor with pull-out bins
    Added cabinet knobs

I really like the transformation and feel it was well worth the money. I also liked that I could reuse rather than dump the existing cabinets.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen face lift

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Hellow Quackup (cute name)

There are many fun things you can do with this kitchen.
    My first suggestion is to take the Sweeby test.

After that visit FKB (finished Kitchens blog) and then
    start thinking about what you love in a kitchen. For some
    a kitchen is totally about the function, for others it is
    the wonderful marble counter or the crystal chandy above
    the old fashioned farm house sink or the contemporary
    quarter sawn fir cabinetry, or shiny pearlized backsplash,
    or maybe the ebony chocolate floors or the super crisper
    drawer in the refrig...

Once you can narrow down the things you love you can decide
    how to spend your $20 grand.

Here is a great link....
    Show us your under 20K kitchen renos. http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0810443618847.html?51

2nd Show us your under 20K kitchens
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0810443618847.html?51

And there are some super ideas on GW. From gel staining
    old oak cabinets to painting cabinets, using remnants of
    a favorite stone counter to recycling cabinets and
    adding new ones. GW is a wealth of information. Enjoy
    your new kitchen and the reno ride.
    ~boxerpups

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweeby test

• osugirl
    13 years ago

Hi Quackup,

I think your kitchen has a lot of potential. Do you know what's behind the soffits? It could be expensive to move whatever is behind there and then add 42" uppers.
    I think paint would go a long way. Could you add an end panel to the side of the fridge? Maybe beadboard if you like the cottage look? Glass inserts could look really nice on the run of upper cabinets on the right side of the kitchen.
    You might find you like the counters better after you paint the cabinets.

• quackup
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions! I really like the idea of painting the island a different color. I wonder how it would look adding some sort of bead-board as well (painted I mean).

Also - getting rid of the soffits and adding a crown molding.

Wow - and thanks for the link to the under $20k kitchens. This is a great forum!

DIY - I didn't think you were being mean at all! I was referring to the other post. Thanks for your suggestions!

• karenj
    13 years ago

Hi quackup!
    Just thought I would add my 2 cents. I like your kitchen very much! I'm by no means known for decorating, but budget is a BIG part of my vocabulary! Couple of thoughts--I agree the cabinets would look great painted white (they don't look to me like they need refacing (sp?), with a nice glaze over the top to soften them up a bit. I also notice the current trend is toward a different color upper than lower, and that would look lovely. A definite must is a farmhouse sink.
    LOVE the idea of beadboard on the island.
    Since your budget is so generous, are you able to do soapstone counters?
    As you mentioned, a stainless fridge will appear a little less ummm...dominant? than the white one.

• quackup
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Karen -

Just saw your message! Thanks for the ideas. I didn't think about soapstone and the farmhouse sink but that would definitely add. The fridge is awful now isn't it - LOL! I'm hoping paint will be enough for the cabinets - they are in good condition. I say your decorating skills are very good!

Boxerpups - thank you for all the links. I figured out what a sweeby test is!

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Hi quackup, it is hard to decide what to do at the start of a project sometimes, so looking at pictures can be very helpful. Congratulations on your new home...I'm with you on making a change to the style of the kitchen and I love the cottage-look and white cabinets (I'm slightly biased...LOL).

Since you want to keep your cost down, certainly paint is the way to go. Be sure to read the threads on this board about how to paint your cabinets white...I think that will look nice and the beadboard on the island is a great idea too. You could actually place a bookcase on the end of your fridge and paint it the same to match the cabinets. FYI...some folks have posted that the sides of the SS fridge are more gray than SS unless you get a kit to cover the side. What wall color are you planning on?

For some reason I am not able to post inspirational pix on the board today...sorry. Best luck with your project.

• lyvia
    13 years ago

Hmm. I would paint the island and the uppers on the right side of the picture, and see if that was enough. That would break up the wood everywhere. I would also paint the soffit. So that would hardly dent your budget. I would also look at a new chandelier. Something eye-catching there would help that refrigerator hide.

So then for the budget buster - look into refrigerator drawers. Even a pair of shorter fridges would take up more wall length, but give you room for a shelf on top, and from this angle that might help. Picture two chest high counter deep fridges with a shelf over top and small bookshelf on the end. (Ikea has odd shapes.)
    You could put a freezer drawer underneath a counter high fridge model. Just be careful not to switch one solid block of color mass for another.

• caryscott
    13 years ago

Welcome! First thing would be try it out for a few months before and then decide if the layout is really meeting your needs. I'm with l_w_o if it isn't really what you want I would put most of that 20 grand away and save for the kitchen you really want and just tweak this one. I'm definitely with l_w_o on using some colour - if it's not forever do something besides white - the look you want lends itself to any number of wonderful colours which will give the space some real personality. Save most of the big changes to the perimeter (soffits etc) for when you re-do the whole thing. Concentrate on the backsplash, lighting, painting the cabinets and new hardware. Be a bit more adventurous with the island and maybe change out that countertop your not that fond of. Cottage lends itself to beadboard so works some in somewhere. I would budget 5-7 grand for changes (not including appliances). Do enough that your happy for the next 5 years and then re-visit whether you want to do the whole thing and start from scratch. Good luck however you decide to proceed.

• latimore
    13 years ago

I think with a $20,000 budget and the good things you already have to work with you can make this really great - and really you. I completely understand why you would want to make the space your own.

Is there anything in the soffit above the cabinets (plumbing/ducts)? Could you take it out and move the upper cabinets up so that they touch the ceiling, then add a shelf below? (OK, I just tried every search term I could think of and cannot find the blog where they did this - maybe somone with a better memory can help with a link to a photo?)

If you plan to paint, this would be a good opportunity to beef up the moulding at the top of the cabinets and just paint it all in to match.

You could tile from the countertop to the bottom edge of the cabinets and then put your shelves on pretty brackets.

Alternatively, I used marble thresholds from HD (6" wide) for the shelf over my stove and it worked great. They are about $15 each. If you plan well you could even hide the brackets in the tile so the shelves look like they are floating if you want a more contemporary look.

Could you swap the "desk" area cabinets on the opposite wall with the refrigerator, and then build a new unit that holds the refrigerator and maybe a floor-to-ceiling (pull out/IKEA drawers?) pantry? That would give you lots more counter space on the left side of the stove and make it a little easier to enclose the refrigerator without having a big "box" at the end of the run of cabinets.

You already know that new hardware, paint, and light fixtures will go a long way to transform this space.

You could put in butcher block countertops for not much money. I used BB around the perimeter of our kitchen so I could afford soapstone on the island. IKEA/Waterlox is the least expensive way to go.

Is your island two base cabinet units placed back to back? Maybe you could pull them apart and place bookcases in between so that you would have the open shelves you mentioned and also a bigger work space (you'd need a new countertop, obviously).

Or, you could take that out altogether and use a "furniture" island instead. (Assuming your floor is finished underneath, or you can get more material to complete it, or you are OK with a big rug. ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: An idea for a furniture island

• User
    13 years ago

Quack-Up: glad to see you out of Lurkdom.

Your kitchen set-up looks a lot like mine, only larger. I haven't read all the responses, so please excuse me if I'm repeating or refuting something stated prior.

I started with a builder's oak kitchen 30 years ago. After a flood, I renovated it to my heart's desire--black and white. I'm posting this picture to give you an idea of what white cabinets look like in your configuration. Where you have a bank of uppers and lowers to the right, I have only a wall.

This is the other side:

I toyed with putting a cookbook shelf on the end of the island where the chalkboard is, but ended up putting it next to the refrigerator instead as it was more functional there.

• kathec
    13 years ago

If I read this correctly, you want to update, not completely overhaul (yet). So yes, you really can do this on small budget. Not all of us can afford to buy a home with the kitchen we love, nor can we buy a afford ($ or timewise) to buy a house that needs a full gutting either. It's more about aesthetics. Using what you have and getting the look you love.

I really think you should check out the blog The Lettered Cottage. Layla, I believe her name is, had the same generic builder kitchen. She's painted her cabinets twice. The first time, a striking black, now I think they're a creamy white and pale gray. She's also done some amazing things to the house on the cheap you wouldn't believe.

On this board, one of the most recent ones was baileyandbella, I think she did hers for under $2K. There was also a redo by enigmaquandry that went less builder, more cottage for around $1400.

So, start with your budget. How much can you comfortably afford to spend. Determine your priorities. Is it cabinet color, is it the counters? Is it function, like adding pullouts to cabinets and the like? If it's not in your budget to do everything you want now, start with paint and do the rest as you can afford it.

Here's some free advice from someone who has moved into 4 houses (purchased) in the past 7 years, moving is expensive. There's always expenses you don't expect that creep up on you. The things you want to do aesthetically, get pushed to the back burner especially when you find things that didn't come out in the inspection, or did, but they're weren't a big deal that need to be addressed. Like when a minor leak in a 2nd story bathroom becomes a major leak when you turned off the water and water leaks all down onto the family room ceiling. Suddenly, replacing the hose on the toilet and repairing drywall is your priorty. Yeah, it's happened to me...

Another free piece of advice to take with a heap of salt, don't go into debt to redo your kitchen. I realize I'm in the minority here, but I feel like I've earned my lumps in this arena. Debt is like living under a slave master. Everything you make first goes to pay the master (mortgage, visa, mastercard). DH and I learned the hard way. At one point we owed around 525K if you include our 1st mortgage, 2nd mortgage, car loan and cards. We were not extravagant people. No vacations, no fancy cars. Just maintaining our everyday life was expensive. We were fortunate enough to have sold our house to be able to pay off all that in 2006 before CA house prices really tanked, but not everyone is so fortunate. When we moved, we decided that we would live within our means. So, we got a more modest house, and kept our mortgage low. We have no more cards, no car loans. We try to save cash or pay as we go when it comes to home improvement. I REALLY, REALLY LOVE craigslist!

So when you do your budget, remember that it's probably not set in stone, even the really soft kind ; )

Here is a link that might be useful: $1400 budget redo

• quackup
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks again for all the helpful advice. So far, here are the things that bug me the most about the kitchen and what we want to change - after reading your suggestions.

1. Cabinets - I don't like the stain or the wood grain look. I don't mind wood cabinets - just not with the grain showing. Paint white and add a few glass doors. Replace pulls and knobs. Similar to dian57 kitchen.

2. Fridge is an eyesore - counter depth stainless. Encase it somehow - would love to add bookcase to end / beadboard/ or pull out cabinet - not sure which yet. Other appliances SS.

3. Island - too big for me - prefer to make it longer but slimmer. Also would like to add seating underneath (like dian57 did). Paint it a mossy green with beadboard. Would love to have bookcase at end.

4. Counters - not a fan AT ALL but will stay with them if the costs go too high.

5. Paint - We plan to paint the kitchen a taupe color. Paint trim white. Leave wood doors as is.

6. Change out light fixtures

What do you think?

• quackup
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh also - backsplash (not sure which colors or design yet) and molding to to of cabinets - if we can get rid of soffit.

Also would consider bumping the cabinets to the ceiling and adding shelf underneath like someone suggested.

Thanks!!!

• quackup
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here are some pics of kitchens I just love. Basically my dream kitchen for right now (with the layout we have). Until I find a new one I like!! Especially the one with the fridge with the drawers. I like the greenish island and the beadboard and the little area for books. Love the counters too! That's the color scheme I'm going for. I would want a more colorful backsplash (not sure what yet). And I'm curious about that fridge with the drawers. Someone mentioned that (I can't find it now) but it looks pricey. What would you even call a fridge like that?

http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h350/quackup1/?action=view&current=amazingkitchen.png

http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h350/quackup1/?action=view&current=amzingkitchen2.png

We'd like the kitchen table to look like this (lighter table) but love the comfy chairs OR do a built in banquette.

http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h350/quackup1/?action=view&current=gametable.png

I keep calling it backsplash but I really mean (tiling the wall). It all really comes down to budget and what we REALLY want and what we're willing to sacrifice. We could spend $20k but I'd rather spend even less than that. So just enjoying looking at pics, getting ideas and inspiration.

Thanks again!!

• Buehl
    13 years ago

[First, I read the posts through about 4pm (ET) yesterday, but only skimmed the rest (I started this response yesterday around 4pm as well!), so if I'm repeating what someone else has said, consider it a second opinion!]

Yes, your kitchen is nice but I do understand you want to put "your" stamp on it. Cosmetic changes with accessories, wall paint, etc. are one way...as well as the least expensive and easiest.

The real question for you is this...
    Does this kitchen (layout, cabinet configurations, cabinet types, and workspace size/location) work for you functionally as it is now and are the cabinets in as good a shape as they look in the picture? What most of us don't want to do is put major $$ (and $20K is major) into a kitchen that functionally does not work for us. We'd rather wait and save up to do it right...to not only make it "ours" but to also make it more functional all around.

If the answer to either part of the above question is "no", then I would either do a budget-friendly new cabinet/layout change or wait until you have enough $$ to do it the way you picture your ideal kitchen.

Looking at the kitchen as it is now, the layout isn't too bad...the only 3 thing that I would want to change are:

(1) Increase the amount of space there is for the Prep Zone (probably b/w the range & sink since the island has no water and, therefore, does not make it ideal for prepping anything that needs rinsing/cleaning/peeling)

(2) Increase the amount of work and landing space on both sides of the range (as a side note, the counter behind the island is pretty much wasted space as anything more than a "junk collector". It's too far away from the sink, range, and refrigerator to be of much use.)

(3) Get rid of the OTR MW and replace it with a true range hood and full-size MW that's located more conveniently and safely (maybe move the refrigerator & MW to the other wall and make it a "snack center" and then center the range on its current wall). Yes, the island is workspace, but, as I mentioned before, it has no water so isn't really convenient for prepping.

If you used the island, your workflow would be: Refrigerator to sink, then sink to island, then island to range or MW, crossing aisles each time.

If you used the area b/w the range & sink for prepping, your workflow would be: Refrigerator to sink and then directly to the range, the last w/o having to cross aisles...so one less trip and less aisle crossing

All that is well and good, but if you want to use the same cabinets, none of those changes are possible without rearranging the existing cabinets and changing the countertop. So, based on your ideas, here are some thoughts:

>Cabinets/Soffits/Refrigerator

Refacing cabinets...It's a well-guarded secret by the refacing companies that refacing is not as inexpensive as the commercials imply. As someone has already pointed out, refacing can often cost as much as replacing cabinets or even more. Even at 50% the cost of new cabinets, it seems like a waste of $$ to me b/c new cabinets would give you more useful cabinets…more drawers, a trash pullout, etc.

Painting can also get expensive unless you do it yourself. Painting cabinets is not as easy as painting walls…you have remove the doors, prep the surface (the amount of prepping depends on the condition of the surfaces (both cabinet doors & drawer fronts as well as cabinet boxes), true material of cabs & doors, etc.), paint two or more coats, etc. See the Painting Forum (http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/paint/) for more information).

If you're going to pay to paint or reface, look into the cost of new cabinets before you commit to anything (and remember…the advantage of new cabinets is you can get closer to an "ideal" layout, more useful workspace (and better located), and more functional cabinets. [BTW…are those builder-grade cabinets that just have a single fixed shelf in the base cabinets (maybe even a half-shelf) or were they "upgraded" to at least have roll out tray shelves (ROTS)? Drawers are even better than ROTS.]

FWIW, I agree w/you on the cabinets…I'm not fond of them either, especially against the floor.

Refrigerator...Even if you're not getting new cabinets, there's no reason why you cannot "build in" your refrigerator. All you need to do is surround it w/panels and pull the cabinet over forward so it looks like it is full depth. Finish the end panels in whatever you do to the rest of the cabinets. However, the soffit above it is an issue…

Soffit...If you do remove the soffit, then you have a couple of possibilities: add crown molding to give the overall kitchen a more "finished" look or perhaps get some short cabinets to "stack" above the current cabinets…that, of course, would be more $$$. If you go the crown molding route, I would not go to the ceiling b/c the crown will overwhelm the cabinets. With the soffit removed, building in the refrigerator is easy!

"…consider bumping the cabinets to the ceiling and adding shelf underneath …" The problem w/this idea is that it will make the cabinets inaccessible to anyone under 6' or so. The other thing to think about is that anything stored on open shelves will collect dust and, since you don't have a real range hood, grease/steam/etc. from cooking. (Even if that OTR MW is vented outside, they're usually not very good at venting and notice that it does not cover the front burners at all…so that means the grease, steam, odors, smoke, etc. will stay in your kitchen, not vented to the outside.)

>Island

Island w/bookcase..."...(we) want to change up the island as well - maybe with storage for books at the end..."

Do you intend to change it completely? As it is right now, there appears to barely be enough room for the table with the island as long as it is. If you increase the length of the island, it will seriously encroach on the table space and the aisle b/w them. That aisle will be well-used as it is the main way to get to the refrigerator, MW, and into the kitchen to prepare a meal. (The refrigerator and MW are the items that are used the most by those not working tin the kitchen...well, the sink may also be in that camp if there's no other sink conveniently located on the same floor as the kitchen.) Now, if you get rid of the table and maybe use the DR for all your meals OR put in a banquette (they need less space than a table & chairs), then the possibilities open way up!

If you intend to replace the island in whole or in part, then be careful how long you make it.

Island w/seating...How wide is your kitchen? You need to be very careful here. If you add seating, you need to have room for (1) sufficient overhang so your guests will be comfortable sitting at the island and (2) for traffic to pass behind & between those sitting at the island as well as anyone working at the counter behind the island. Ideally, you should have (1) 15" seating overhang (the minimum the NKBA recommends for counter-height seating) and (2) 54" to 60" b/w the edge of the island's counter and the edge of the counter on the other side (against the wall). The aisle width becomes even more important b/c it appears there will be traffic coming in from the outside directly into the kitchen and passing through to get to the rest of the house. [We cannot see all views of the kitchen, so this is based on what we can see.]

So, my question is, do you intend to remove the entire island and replace it with all new cabinets? If so, I think you can fit seating. It looks like the current island is 3 or 4 feet wide. Simply replace them with 24" deep cabinets facing the range wall and use the "leftover" for the seating overhang. If the current island is 3' wide, add another 3" and you have the overhang you need. If the current island is 4' wide, then subtract 6" or so and have an 18" overhang or 9" and have a 15" overhang.

"…Island - too big for me - prefer to make it longer but slimmer…" If you want seating at the island, you will need the island to be at least 40.5" deep (1.5" counter overhang on cabinet side + 24" cabinet + 15" seating overhang).

What do you plan to do about the counter? (I may have missed that part!)

>Countertops

Countertops…I would not replace the counters unless you replace the cabinets. If you get stone counters, they are usually two to four thousand dollars (or more) and unless you plan on keeping the cabinets for 10, 15, or more years, I think it's a waste of money. If, OTOH, you plan to replace them less expensively (laminate, butcher block), then you might consider it to get a "color" you like…but wait until after you've painted or refaced the cabinets. Once you redo the cabinets, you may find that you actually like the counters…especially if you go with a very light color…dark counters and light cabinets (like white, cream, pale yellow) look great…at least IMHO!

Hope all this helps! Welcome and good luck!

• Buehl
    13 years ago

BTW...you probably are not getting responses to your thread emailed to you even though you checked the box that says "Check here if you would like copies of follow-ups to your message emailed to you." This is b/c you do not have the email option turned on in your profile.

See the "Read Me" thread for more information (linked below). Scroll down to the post w/the subject "Getting Emails Sent To You...3-step Process"

Here is a link that might be useful: Read Me If You're New To GW Kitchens!

• quackup
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow - Buehl! I just want to say THANK YOU for all your wonderful info and ideas. I have to read through it again but you were very thorough.

You are right I'm not getting emails sent to me - that's ok, I am ok with just checking back from time to time.

Thanks again to everyone! You have all been more than helpful. I'll let you all know what we decide and how it turns out!