SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sivyaleah

PANICKING! Need Help Fast - Re Scooping Sink Base!

Laurie
13 years ago

I purchased a Siligranite Super Single sink for 30" sink base. I was assured, that it will fit by my KD. The counter has already been templated, sink taken with the installer.

This weekend, my cabinet guy came for the last time (pretty much) and I explained that I needed the sink base "scooped out" to received the sink. I had the specs on site for him to see. He tells me he doesn't have the proper tools with him to do so but, should be able to do it anyway.

Later on, I come back into the room (I mean, who in their right mind stands over their contractor every moment when they have basically done an ok job for the most part?) and see that he has evidently just ripped out the wood parts by hand, since he didn't have the tools needed.

Now - I'm miffed and say so but he assures me that it's still ok as is.

The counter installer comes by 2 days later, to measure the sill and didn't seem to perturbed by it at all, however, he sees the sink specs and mentions that the cabinet still needs more cutting, on the sides? I have NO idea what he means.

The biggest issue is the cabinet installer won't be back for weeks as he only had some trim work to finish; and my counter goes in this Wednesday! OMFG.

So, I call my main contractor, who got me the cabinet guy to complain to him and tell him I'm going to need one of his guys to finish up that cabinet for me. Luckily, he was sending a crew out tomorrow to do some other finish work in the house (it's not only my kitchen being done) and his carpenter surely must be capable of doing this.

But - I don't think he's ever done this work before and I'm confused of what has to be done. The cabinet butts up against the dishwasher on the left side - there is no margin of error to be had. All the cabinets are already in. The other side, is my corner lazy susan.

I don't understand what has to still be cut out of this sink cabinet. I was under the impression from what my KD said, that only the top part had to be cut back - not any more. If we're also cutting the sides of the cabinet, won't the sink be up against the dishwasher? How is this possibly a good thing? And if the cabinet guy ripped out all of the wood on top, where is the sink going to rest? (although, that sink is quite large and I assume it will be bolted to the counter all around anyway).

Would someone be able to shed some light on this for me? Pictures? I can't find anything to help me online at all, I did every search I could think of. I already have a call into the KD but no call back yet.

THANKS!

Comments (4)