SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adel97

Please comment on my plans before demo

adel97
13 years ago

I'm planning a contemporary remodel of our original (26 yr old) builder's kitchen. We have a fairly contemporary aesthetic. Neither DH nor I like shiny or busy granites for the kitchen (though we did use a beautiful slab of polished "black beauty" granite on our 8' dining room buffet). My "before" pics, plans, materials, palette, etc. are at my posterous page:

http://sonivirt.posterous.com/29286787#.

Primarily I have two specific questions that I would LOVE some input into.

One: island or no island? I absolutely want to have a kitchen table as I don't like the idea of an eating island. DH, DS and I eat all casual meals around our round kitchen table by the windows . That leaves room for a small island as you can see in the plans, which would give me some needed additional prep space and storage. BUT, the question is, would the kitchen look too crowded with both? I do plan to change out the chairs on the table and maybe the table itself towards something more contemporary. The current chairs are very big and clunky and not my favorite style.

Two: any ideas for a backsplash? I was thinking of back painted glass (one or more large panels, not not glass tiles). I would love any ideas for tile as well. I am looking for something contemporary but not trendy, to avoid having it look dated in 5 years.

Please feel free to comment on other aspects or issues that you see as well. We haven't started demolition yet but will soon! We have learned so much from the folks on this forum who take the time to reply, Thanks so much!

Here is a link that might be useful: sharonite kitchen plan page

Comments (11)