SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jakuvall

Methods of pricing information from dealers.

jakuvall
11 years ago

In Live Wire Oaks recent thread on displays a lot of you said you wanted some form of price guidelines from dealers while shopping. Thought about that a lot- actually it is something we all have tried to find an answer to over the years. As you may have noticed most KDs have come to the decision that the best answer is to actually price your jog. And I believe that to be the case, we just don't make you watch while we do it. All the work is done after we talk with you and we give a good -High- ballpark at the first meeting (often in 2-3 brands).

But I'm am taking another look at what else I could do that might help in my studio.

What I'm thinking of is to take each line and list some basic ballpark prices for each line-

Least expensive range we see- small kitchen

Average $$ we see- and slightly trimmed

Then upper end we see - or the point where you should look at the next line-

A list of upcharges and how they are applied (not sure about that as it gets so complicated)

So wondering if that sound like it might help? Below I've listed some of the methods used to deal with this and the issues we've run into with them.

This is sort of a variation on good, better, best. GBB gets complicated to do properly and leads to inaccuracies as well.

The problems with pricing approaches from the dealers perspective- we don't want to lowbal or decieve you and we don't want to scare you to death even though part of the job description is "administer sticker shock", we prefer to work on jobs we are likely to get just as you would prefer not to waste time or be dissappointed:

Appearing overpriced- I design fully functional accessorized kitchens with careful detailing- this will always be more expensive than the guy down the road who starts out pricing "just boxes" Pretty much every pricing sytem has this problem.

The per foot systeim- also known as the kitchen no one does- is simply deceptive and inaccurate.leads to low ball expectations.

The 36" cabinet price- fine to compare this line with that SORT OF- as the kitchen gets complicated those differences do not apply well-leads to low ball expectations.

The "how much is this display"- agian we've loaded it with everything we could to allow us to show you options- unlikely you are going to do them all- may be in my most expensive brand but doesn't mean I can't get you what your after with my mainstream brand- client runs away screaming. Leads to sticker shock.

The other thing I've noticed is when someone walks up to a display and asks how much is it what is often going on is they think "that is about the size of my kitchen, so this will tell me how much my kitchen costs" Rarely true, the perception of size is almost always off, the display likely does not have all appliances, windows and doors (if any of those) and again we have decked it out with things we may not ever sell.

Good, better, best- works best within lines of the same brand. It falls short when comparing brands as each has sweet spots. There are situations where I compare say my mid price and the next brand up- one kitchen the difference is 7%, another it is 15, and had one the other day that was 40% (to my suprise) it always depends on the kitchen.

Thanks in advance

Comments (5)