SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stcy

White Macaubas with some "rust" in veins

ott2
11 years ago

We are looking for White Macaubas for two 8.5 ft kitchen islands. Both islands will waterfall on one (same) side. We need 3 slabs from same lot, where one is a book-matched slab to the other two. I'm not interested in the "blue-ish" toned slabs.

There are a number of slab warehouses near where I live in Texas, but the White Macaubas slabs I have found are either already sold, or do not fit the criteria of 3 slabs, same lot, one book-matched, not blue-toned. The same warehouses do not know when/if they expect to get more in, but do know that it won't be in the next couple of months.

Yesterday, I flew to NJ to look at three slabs I found online. I really like the look of the slabs, and they meet the criteria. The movement of the veins is interesting, and there are none of the smudge-looking or bald-looking spots that I've seen on some slabs. They are very clean looking.

So, here is my question: The grays in the veins range from light to almost charcoal. Some veins also have some brown/rust. When looking at any one of the slabs as a whole, the browns/rusts are not really noticeable. If looking up close, the browns/rusts are definitely more noticeable. The brown/rust veining is not harsh, it just sort of follows the gray veining in places. Having the brown/rust colors in the slabs is not a really a problem as the colors will work well with the overall design. When I asked, the warehouse person explained that the "rust" colors really are because of rust that formed in the stone. Don't know why that surprised me! Lots of the White Macaubas slabs I have looked at have had some "rust", but my NJ slabs probably have more. Is the "rust" considered a flaw in the stone? Or is it just a different look between slabs of White Macaubas? Does the existence of the "rust" make a slab any more problematic during fabrication?

I liked the NJ slabs very much, and they are mine if I want them, but I think I have last minute jitters that some stone-knowledgeable person will see my lovely islands and say "Oh, my gosh! You paid a ton of money for RUSTED slabs!"!

Appreciate any thoughts...

Comments (17)