SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
northcarolina_gw

How hard is it to retrofit drawers into existing cab box?

northcarolina
12 years ago

I don't mean roll-out trays, I mean converting from door cabinets to drawer stacks using RTA drawer boxes and hardware in already-installed cabinet boxes. The cabs are frameless. Would it be easier just to replace them with RTA cabs that are already drilled for drawer hardware and install the hardware before securing the cabinet to the wall; or is adding drawer hardware to an installed cabinet box doable? The countertops will be coming off, if that matters. The existing boxes are in good shape other than some yellowing around the edges (I would have to decide if I cared enough to do something about that, though I don't know what exactly -- advice welcome).

We are going to be doing this on a budget, but it's not so tight that we can't buy some new RTA cabs if that would work better (we will need a few anyway, with the layout I think I will be using). I am not too excited about the logo on the IKEA drawers, so even if we went with their cabinet frames I might order drawer boxes from somewhere else.

I also don't mind hiring out some of the installation, though normally I am comfortable with anything that can be done with hand tools and a cordless drill (like putting together RTA furniture, hanging stuff on walls, painting, etc). I'll have to hire a carpenter or our handyman at any rate to do the trims and countertop, unless I can talk DH into it. (Plumbing and electrical and flooring will be done by pros, in case anyone is wondering.)

Thanks!

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022