SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kayaem00

Flaws in Black Pearl Granite Counters

kayaem00
10 years ago

Hi all. I recently had my kitchen updated with Black Pearl Granite countertops. It has not been pleasant and my stomach is in knots. They came and installed at 3:00 pm last week and left at 8:00 pm saying the job was finished. The seam at the sink was crooked; and side counter seam did not meet up/level (installer said the slab was warped-so sorry!) and the main show piece, the island counter has a huge blotch in it that looks sort of like a horse; on closer inspection it appears to be in the actual stone but does not look good as there is no pattern anywhere else in the black pearl. They also wanted the rest of their money before they left. I said no, that I would bring it to the shop the next morning. So, the next morning I called the owner and asked him to come by and look at the job. He had the installer (who was quite angry that he got called back) fix the seam at the sink so now it looks fine. He said too bad about the blotch - I said it was not acceptable because I have a slide in stove cutout and why didn't he cut the blotch part out as the stove cutout? He had no comment. BTW, he picked out the two slabs as we didn't know any better. The side counter he made the guy go at it again. The installer (not owner) came back later and tried to fix the seam to match again and said again that the slab of granite was warped and in 11 years he had never seen that. He then left a clamp on the granite, not glued and seam not level, several wood wedges, drawer stuck half open because of the wood wedges and left last Thursday afternoon. It is now Tuesday morning so we haven't heard from them in five days. I still owe him half the price. I want either two new slabs and them to start over or call it finished and my bill paid in full and I'll get someone else to fix it or give me back my deposit and remove the granite. Do you think I'm being unreasonable? Has anyone had this before and had it resolved successfully? Do I have any rights here? I'm worried that if we get into an argument they can put a lien on my house and ...and...I am just sick about this!!

Comments (9)