SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
la_koala

Do I need fridge against back wall to avoid insects? (!)

la_koala
12 years ago

Hi all,

While I'm not sure how I can explain this, I really would like your input as a sanity check to help me understand this comment from my GC:

"You need the back of the fridge up against a wall to avoid insects."

Here's our situation:

- Doing a gut remodel of the kitchen, all walls down to the studs.

- Before demo, we knew there was a "niche" behind the existing wall behind the fridge. It's about 18 inches deep. It was likely an old pantry cupboard in the original kitchen, and then some previous owner before us walled it up and put the back of the fridge against it.

- Knowing there was this niche, after demo and in the new kitchen, we planned to push the fridge back about 4 inches, and put in a pantry cupboard sideways behind the back of the fridge. (So the doors of the pantry are flush with the left side of the fridge. You walk past the pantry on your left, then past the left side of the fridge, and then turn left, and you have the front of the fridge on your left side).

However, there was no wall in plan between the side of the cupboard behind the fridge and the back of the fridge.

Now the GC is telling us that there must be a wall built immediately behind the fridge to prevent insects.

Has anyone heard of this before?

Does it make sense?

I've looked at the building code and did not immediately find anything about needing a wall behind the fridge. We live in the Northeast US and have never had an insect problem in this house for over 5 years, except the occasional stray ant in the upstairs bathroom.

Thanks for the sanity check!

Lee

Comments (14)