SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nyrgirl35

Range Hood and Make up air

9 years ago

Hi. I will be getting a 36" gas range ( no griddle or grill ) all 6 burners. I added up all 6 burners and BTU's are 70,000. I checked to see what some 30" range BTU's and they are around 60,000. I have a 48" wood hood and my cabinet salesman suggested the Zephyr insert with 1000 CFM. I never had a ducted vent that will be added during renovations.
But now I'm freaking out after I read about make up air, I never heard of this before. I live in NY not sure of any codes here? But I'm not just worried about codes I'm also worried about this in general. I can't afford to put in system for make up air, what are my options? lower CFM? 400? 600?
It doesn't seem that my range has that much more BTU's then the average 30" range. I know I would never be using all 6 burners at the same time on max. My house was built in the 80's, the kitchen has vaulted ceilings, window is close to range ( not sure if any of this matters )! What's the lowest CFM I can use? I don't fry a lot other then your basic chicken chicken cutlets. I mean before I had a recirculating hood that never really worked so when I did fry I just cracked my window open. Should I just have stayed with recirculating? Never had a problem before with grease on cabinets or anything!
Sorry for the long post I'm just freaking because my reno starts on Monday and just read about this.
Thanks

Comments (6)