SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amarantha_gw

Help with layout & design of sink cabinetry- what do you think?

amarantha
13 years ago

I'm hoping for some ideas and thoughts on this, any and all! I have a section of kitchen cabinets (9 ft) that I am designing for the clean-up sink, DW, drawer base, and trash pull-out. This will be on an outside wall with a 30" apron-front soapstone sink centered under triple casement windows. There are no upper cabinets there.

I've posted my drawings below. Following that is the full view of the kitchen as is. We have cabinets that I am reworking into the island and pantry cabinets. I also need a cab box for the fridge and most likely will match the pantry/island cabinets. There is a photo of my cabinets sort of arranged as the island - showing them so you can see the type of cabinets they are - knotty pine beaded inset, flat panel with molding. I will be painting these island cabinets (eventually after they are reinstalled)and will add a molding with a toe kick to give it more of a finished furniture look.

This new cabinetry for the clean-up sink area will be of a different style. I like the unfitted "evolved" look, and am not trying to match these to the island cabinets. But I want it to look good together. This piece will be painted, (not white, as our walls are BM ancient ivory) the window trim will be a darker color such as a putty or grey-green. The window trim will probably match the island or be a shade close to it. My latest thought is to paint this sink cabinetry yellow. Maybe a milk paint? Or not. We do like color and fun. Old farmhouse colonial is the feel of the kitchen, with some vintage elements (again going for the look that the kitchen has had a few updates along the way...)

My concerns are that this cabinet looks too straight and shaker - I guess because it is. I want it to look more old than new. Maybe a lot of that has to do with the color and finish of the piece. What do you think? I had considered other feet, some curved, but after a while looking at it I thought to go with straight and add detail with color, texture, fabric. Again, thoughts are welcome.

The other questions that I have are about the drawers - the top one of the 4D base will be for cutlery. Any suggestions on depth of that one and the ones below? I have the cutlery one about 5 in - is that sufficient? I guess the other drawers will be used for cloth napkins, other table items? The bottom one could be for additional baking supplies (lowered baking center will be right behind). I'm wondering if making the 2 middle drawers into a larger drawer (i.e. making it a 3 Drawer base) would be better use of space?

In the trash pull-out I'll have just one trash barrel and will store cleaners, sprays, extra sponges, etc behind it. Sink cabinet is "bumped in" and will have the garbage disposal and not much room for other stuff. The open cabinet all the way on the right is there really just to get the DW away from the wall a little. I'll hang the dish towel in it maybe. Or store a coffee/tea tray.

So, I would love all input. Let me know what you think - both in design, function, style, measurements, size, etc. I would love to see how this looks 3D so if any suggestions on doing that simply I would appreciate it as well.

this is long so I won't go into the other wall and lowered baking center- for now, I'll say that we have an old stove on the wall and will add cabinets later once we are back in there - I have some ideas but will wait till I know what else will need. Baking center is open for discussion too but is not a priority now - the sink cabinetry needs to be ordered so we can get occupancy permit.

Thanks!!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (7)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!