SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jhzr2

Nailing into plywood overhead - nails bounce

JHZR2
9 years ago

Posting in kitchens because it is my kitchen renovation. It's likely an entirely stupid situation, which we can all laugh about, or laugh at me over.

Essentially,doing a kitchen renovation, and my plan is to install a tin ceiling overhead. Put up plywood after removing the old plaster and lathe and insulating/rewiring. All great.

Got a few tin pieces, and wanted to out them up as a trial and to verify a few things. The only issue was I didn't have the cone head nails, so used some small white nails used for nailing aluminum flashing (they may be made from aluminum and that might be the issue????).

Mind you this is overhead work on a ladder, and I used a smaller 10-12oz hammer instead of my usual 20 oz, thinking both of fatigue and collateral tin damage if I missed a nail.

Anyway, start trying to nail it up. Pierces the tin no problem, gets to the plywood. Nail just bounces. In other words, I hit it, it doesn't go in further to the wood, it's just a repetitive impact. Keep doing so, and then all of a sudden, something will give, and then in one or two blows the nail will go all the way in.

This was not just one spot, I nailed in a number of locations, over a number of plywood pieces, and it all went this way.

So what gives? Call me stupid, but I'm pretty capable of doing much of the mechanical work... But stuff like this happens and just frustrates me.

Is it because I'm using nails made possibly of aluminum? The smaller hammer (not sure if it's an issue since when the nails starts to move, it's handled within a few blows) could have a lot to do with impact momentum, but it drives just fine once the nail starts to go.

It really seems like the plywood is flexing a bit and causing the issue, and I don't typically have issues with nailing items. I could pre drill. But it seems that this is generally not done.

Am I on the right track? Will the steel cone head nails make all the issues go away? Do I just really need a 20 oz hammer to get tiny nails embedded. Should I pre drill everything?

Thanks!

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths