SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dianalo_loco

Marmoleum sticker shock

dianalo
13 years ago

Ok... deep breath... got the estimate from the floor place for the Marmoleum plus installation for our kitchen and adjoining den.

It came to $6,700!!!!! I'd use more !s, but you get the point.

The installed price per square foot in the kitchen for Click works out to $12.67.

The installed price for the sheet in the den per sqft was a whopping $26.81. Crazy!

I was crushed all day but luckily sold 2 houses and started to think. While I will NEVER spend that type of money for 2 rooms of linoleum flooring, I figured there had to be a way to get that number down.

I went online and did my due diligence. I found a supplier, linoleumstore.com, that is much cheaper per square foot. I then had to figure out how to get it installed. I could use my contractor for the Click part because that is supposed to be easy enough to DIY, but want a pro for the sheet for the den and transition between those 2 floors. I found a site that connected me with 3 local linoleum flooring installers. I will grill them mightily to see how much experience they have and what their strategy for doing it will be. I'd much rather one person installed both floors.

I know I have to factor in for incidentals, and not forget the underlayment in the den that will make the floors level (or the Click would end up "taller"). I need transition pieces and possibly adhesives. There may also be welding rod costs to consider.

I had expected the estimate to be from the high $2,000s up to $4k max. I did not use a calculator but based it more on what I felt it was worth. I will now have the chance to get 3 more estimates for labor alone with us supplying the material with no markup (pay ourselves to be the middleman, lol). I'd make sure to call the website as they suggest and have them walk me through the ordering (as well as consulting with the installers about what I'll need).

If I can get it down under $4k and feel confident in the installer's ability, then I think we will go that route. I can also simplify the border in the den area and that should save approx $400, but only if I really have to after all is considered. When I heard the news on the price and started to think of all my options, I realized how much I now envision the linoleum look and function. We had been set on saving the hex tiles, that we had been planning previously for the kitchen, for our family bathroom remodel which is the next project. If I have to use my hex plan in the kitchen again, that means a new game plan for the bathroom. Sigh...

Comments (21)