SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
piglet_in_md

Countertop question - does Torquay go with warm cherry island?

Piglet_in_MD
12 years ago

Hi all,

I'm redoing the kitchen, and am going for that timeless white theme with blue accents. I'm doing the cabinets in Brookhaven, Nordic White. Polished Nickel hardware, SS appliances. White tile blackspash with blue accents (3x3 blue squares amid the white diagonals, and 3 5x5 diagonal blue tiles over the rangetop - the rest all white). Medium dark (warm color - "auburn") wood floors. Misty Blue walls.

The perimeter cabinets are bright white. I don't have perfect room for an island, but we currently have a kids table (24" x 33") in the middle of the kitchen that we call our "island" and find it indispensible. So we're going with a table-style island (no cabinets, just 2 drawers, turned posts, shelf at the bottom) in a warm cherry.

We like Cambria Torquay for the perimeter. It seems to be the closest I've seen in a quartz that looks like marble, and I like it with the blue accents. But it's definitely cool with the white and blue (it looks white with grey in it, so slightly grey, but not as grey as real marble).

My question is - if we do Torquay everywhere, I'm sure it will look great on the white cabs, but how will the cool Torquay look on the warm cherry island? Will that clash? I like the idea of the countertops all being the same to unify the space (so it doesn't look like the island, which is a different color, is an after thought or separate purchase). But I'm not sure about the white/grey countertop on the warm wood.

My options are: Torquay all around (perimeter and island), or Torquay on the perimeter and another quartz like Bellingham on the island, which I love with the island - it kind of pops I think, but it doesn't do anything for the rest of the kitchen - it doesn't really tie in, if you know what I mean.

So, some pix:

Here's the white/blue scheme:

Now, add the cherry island (this is a door - we wouldn't have a door, just drawers, but it shows the color). So our island won't have a LOT of wood - it's more like a table with drawers than a fixed island:

The island WILL have a black glaze as this door does, so I think that might help with the grey color of the countertop.

And now here's the alternate quartz option for the island:

Bellingham is the quartz at the bottom right.

And here is Bellingham next to Torquay:

Any thoughts about if Torquay with the wood goes okay, or if Bellingham with the wood is too different from the rest of the kitchen that it won't go?

My problem is that I think I like BOTH looks (all Torquay, or Torquay on perimeter and Bellingham on Island) - but I can only choose one! Thanks for any thoughts anyone has!

Piglet

Comments (8)