SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dtchgrl

Better late than never: Moderate Makeover

dtchgrl
12 years ago

We've been 90% finished for well over a year, but still need to replace the 12 yr old drapes and freshen up the trim paint. The fabric I like for the drapes is so expensive I'm not sure when that will happen so I figured I would go ahead and put up some pics. This forum gave me so many resources! I call it "moderate makeover" b/c even though we put in some higher end things like soapstone and lighting, we re-used almost all of the old cabinets and flooring, and picked up floor model appliances.

Problem with old kitchen was that powder room b/t family room and kitchen made the kitchen eating area a bottle neck, and we rarely ate there (kids sat at island and we stood!! Not good.)

Old layout:

Here is the offending wall. You can see the backs of the chairs from the table b/t the powder room and sliding glass doors.

View of kitchen from old eating area/sliding door area

Inital idea was to adjust Powder room but messing with bathrooms is expensive. So, we got rid of a tiny room behind the kitchen wall that had originally been the laundry room. It was waaay to small for that and the laundry had been moved to the "workshop" behind the stovetop wall year ago. This closet room was going to need some $$ to make it function. So we got rid of it and the door into the garage as there was a door from the garage into the adjacent new laundry room. Here is the wall that had the closet room behind it.

New layout

Reconfigured wall - we used cabinets from the old island and then filled in with the beverage fridge, bookshelf and wine rack

Other side (ignore yucky old drapes)

We put a soapstone top on the half wall b/t the family room and kitchen and now use this bar area more than we ever used the table in front of the sliding glass door.

Here is the fabric I would like for the drapes but it was something like $68 per yard and I need a TON of it for the triple slider. If anyone has other suggestions, I would be thrilled!!

Comments (27)

• blfenton
    12 years ago

Whoa - what a difference. Love the glass cabinets and the beautiful colourful dishes you have in them, the island with the table and wood top is gorgeous - love the blue/green colour. can you post a pic of the island from the side? I'd like to see what the whole thing looks like. You must be thrilled with the changes.

• dtchgrl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here are some pics of the work end of the new island. I had a hard time capturing the color. The flash kept washing it out and giving a funny cast.

This is standing in front of the pantry door looking into kitchen. I the color in this pic is the most true to life.
    The cabinets are Shiloh, and I think the stain was sea-green. You don't pay extra with them for glazing, distressing, knots, etc so we got it all

Standing in front of the cooktop. This is too washed out

Standing at kitchen sink

I didn't get any pictures of it but the table part is just a support "rectangle" down the middle covered with stained beadboard and trimmed out. The end support is a very shallow regular cabinet with no doors. I didn't like the look of small items on the shelves there so one day I plopped in that painting and it stayed. The table top is natural cherry from Old World Butcher block website. They cut to size and did the radius end. The finish is holding up beautifully and it gets a lot of use from three teenagers. Wish we could have afforeded the slightly thicker version but there is a big jump in price.

• Related Discussions

Better late than never...My Kitchen Reveal

Q

Comments (134)
    Oh I'm squealing with delight to see this reveal. I missed it earlier somehow. Amy, you have one of my all time favorite kitchens. I'm serious....I have had your kitchen picture saved for a looooong time. It would be my dream kitchen if I could chose one. I love everything about it. I had actually posted a picture of your kitchen on someone's thread a while back who was wanting a similar layout. Yours is going to inspire so many. You and dh did an amazing job. That hood is awesome. You should be so proud because it is truly stunning.
    ...See More

Better late than never?

Q

Comments (0)
    Well, it has taken a long time, but winter is finally here. Woke up to frost on the car, ground and a few rooftops. One of my Firebushes already looks limp as well as a few Pentas on the western side. According to the indoor/outdoor thermometer, which I had located in my lanai with the remote sensor under my tropicals tent, it got down to 31 and the tent and Christmas Lights kept the tropicals at 36. The next few days will reveal just how much damage was done. But hey, at least my blueberries might have actually gotten their chill hours for the year.
    ...See More

Better late than never

Q

Comments (4)
    Thank you! It is very pretty. I really thought I lost it because it didn't rain last year and I neglected it. Jackie, I think I will try to root it before moving it. I haven't had a lot of luck with rooting. I think my rooting powder is old.
    ...See More

Better Late Than Never

Q

Comments (5)
    Oh I completely missed them. I'll try to look them up terilyn. Such a great show.
    ...See More
  • francoise47
    12 years ago

Beautiful reno! For the curtains, what if you used the expensive fabric you like for the end panels, bottom banding panel, or the edge detail and then used a less expensive coordinating fabric for the bulk of the curtain?

• bigjim24
    12 years ago

Wow! I love what you have accomplished. I looks great. Is that a painting on the end of your island? I bet you enjoy everyone sitting down to eat :)

• lascatx
    12 years ago

I ws going to suggest the same thing for curtains -- but also suggest you might be able to buy a solid panel and then attache the border. Sometimes made panels are cheaper than trying to buy the fabric and making them.

Another idea would be to f not, you could use a lot less fabric to make decorative panels for the sides and have a sheer or solid panel behind it for when you need to close them.

Can you wait for a sale or find the fabric at a store that either has a better price or has more sales? I know I won't buy home decorating fabric at JoAnnes unless it is 40-50% off becasue it is on sale often.

• kashmi
    12 years ago

Wow! A good case study for "moderate" makeovers. This looks like a brand new kitchen. Such a difference in look and feel. You must be pleased and proud.

Can you post a picture of the triple slider "in context" so we can see the area that would be curtained?

Also, how important is it that you be able to draw the curtains completely across the doors? (The view from the kitchen window, for example, looks lovely.)Do you need the curtains for privacy? To help keep out blinding sunlight? Cold windy weather? In other words, as Francoise47 asked, can you make do with, say, a lighter curtain framed by a panel on each end of the fabric?

• lascatx
    12 years ago

And I forgot to tell you I really like what you did with your cabinets. It was a very clever repurposing that gives your kitchen new life. I especially like the table. My cabinets were built onto the wall and came down in pieces (typical in this area), so I'm always intrigued with kitchens where folks can try to move things around. I guess you could with the kitchen I have now, btu I'm not moving anything. ;-)

Enjoy your kitchen!

• elba1
    12 years ago

Looks great - congrats to you!

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

WOW... you did an amazing job! I just love renos that involve repurposing and creativity. Your island is beautiful... it looks FABULOUS!

• allison0704
    12 years ago

Looks great! Have you tried fabricguru.com? I located 4 yards of fabric for $30, that was regular $30 per yard.

On a side note, we had maple cabinets in our last home. While your fabric swatch is pretty, I personally don't think a yellow fabric is the way to go. Looks like it blends too much with the cabinets, wall color and flooring.

Here is a link that might be useful: my fabric

• enduring
    12 years ago

Wonderful. Love the job you've done.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

This is not a moderate makeover - it is a brilliant one!
    I love how you were able to change the layout and look entirely but were able to keep many elements that still had life.
    It is funny, but your old wts were not great with the old paint color, but I like them with the new one. They really work near your glass display cabs with the perky colors. I'd save the money and hassle and start enjoying the wonderful new kitchen.
    This is one heck of a transformation!

Btw - I thought the painting at the end of the island was a patterned towel. If you don't like the shelves, you could put towel bars up and use pretty kitchen linens. Then, you'd be able to stash tings behind them out of view.
    The new fabric would not coordinate with the painting....

• User
    12 years ago

Agree, this is more than moderate. I love it. Love the way you re-used your cabinets too. They look new again. What did you do with your old appliances? The low bar/table is gorgeous too.

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

An amazing difference having matching updated stainless appliances, a backsplash, change in paint color and fabric, and the change in counters for that updated look. I love the transformation!

• rosie
    12 years ago

Terrific job, Dtchgrl, and a wonderful study for others considering trying to work with existing cabinets. Please consider posting on the Finished Kitchens Blog so it doesn't just scroll down and disappear.

• oldhousegal
    12 years ago

Wow! What a fantastic job- I love the feel of the new space, very open and inviting. Your 'moderate' certainly doesn't look 'moderate'!

• dtchgrl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone!
    How do I find and post to Finished Kitchens?

When I was paying the bills for it, it didn't seem all that "moderate" either! Starting out, I figured, heck, we were re-using 90% of the cabinets, not tearing out the flooring, and doing most of the work ourselves. How much could it cost? I went in thinking 10-15K. Heck, that would be the budget for a completely gutted kitchen in many places. But, we have a lot of space and cabinets and countertop, removed a wall, the hardwood floor had to be patched in and then the entire thing refinished, etc.
    I've blanked it out of my mind, but my recollection is that just the new cabinets (new islandcabinets, everything for table support and trim out, new bookcase cabinet, new wine storage cabinet, 4 fluted trim "spacers", new toe kick, etc, etc...almost spent my entire original budget! Granted, the new cabinets are much, much better quality.

Thanks for the ideas on the drapes. I will try to get a picture of the areas. I didn't rush out to replace with just anything b/c as mentioned, he old ones did sort of blend better with the new paint. I think maybe the pattern is a touch dated and/or cutesy rather than sophisticated (which I was going for with the more tonal linen fabric sample.) And, being 12 yrs old they look fairly OK! They were custom made with both a lining and a heavier flannel-like material between the fabric and the lining. Both the sink window and the triple slider to the deck face straight south and can get brutal sun. Considering,they have held up well. Only the fabric that is turned back on the edge has almost completly lost all color. We have since replaced he slider with better filtering glass but its still a lot of sun. If it matters, the windows in the adjoining family room have bamboo-type shades. I still like them 12 yrs later. When I got them, they were hard to find! I've briefly considered something like that for the kitchen...but that triple slider is so big, not sure how it would work.

• lisa_a
    12 years ago

Lovely! I especially like your color stained island. I've been toying with doing something like that, too, and since our color schemes are very similar, it's nice to see what you've done. Thanks for sharing!

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

Wow, everything looks great! It definitely looks more than moderate!

• sabjimata
    12 years ago

That's huge! Love the tile! Enjoy!!

• nini804
    12 years ago

That's amazing! You must be so thrilled...it looks so much more spacious. I bet you LOVE your new island! It is gorgeous!

• rhome410
    12 years ago

Genius re-use of the original cabinets. The additions are seamless. Very nice, overall. What a vast improvement for family dining!

• julize
    12 years ago

Very nice! It's amazing what a difference adding the backsplash made. Can I ask what kind/color of grout you used? That level of contrast between the grout and tiles is very close to what we're going for in our kitchen.

• dtchgrl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

julize- wish I could tell you! It was an extremely last minute decision. Had orginially picked the usual white tile with white grout. But after they installed the tile and were coming back the next day to put in the grout, we changed. We liked the texture it gave seeing the shadows b/t the tiles before the grout was in. hought the white on white would look too blah. So when they came back the next day, we switched from white to tan color that was very close to the cabinet color. Briefly considered a color similar to stainless steel and/or the bronze-y gray color of the lights, but went with the tan in the end.

• phoggie
    12 years ago

This is wonderful!!!! I love the color of your kitchen cabinets....what wood are they and what is the stain color?Also, what is your counter top? You did a great job and one that I will be bookmarking.

• dtchgrl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

phoggie - the island cabinets are maple from Shiloh. Its their green stain, I think called sea green.
    Also got the black glaze and knots and distressing. (With Shiloh the glaze, knots, distressing are included with no add on cost.)

meowzer - thanks so much! I took a very quick prelim glance and some of those of half the price per yard of the sample I had. Big difference when you need as much as I will. The currently fabric is also a Waverly and considering they are have been up for 12 years, in a south facing window and still look decent.