SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

Calling all color mavens! (Long...)

artemis78
13 years ago

I'm having trouble figuring out a good color scheme for our kitchen, which in turn is slowing down silly things like ordering our linoleum and getting the counter picked out. Would *love* some thoughts on this, both in terms of our general color scheme and any particular favorite colors you'd suggest.

Our "kitchen vision": Modern Craftsman look; should "fit" a 1915 Arts & Crafts home, but doesn't need to [read: won't!] look original and can have a little pop/modern color going on. Cabinet style is a mix of flush inset with Shaker doors and slab drawers and frameless with Shaker everything.

Right now, we're working with a color palette of green, gray, and white, and I'm trying to sort out what color to paint the cabinets, what color to paint the walls, and how to make it all come together in a way that's cheerful and not subdued. We want to use a color on the frameless cabinets, but I'd like to stick with white on the inset cabinets. (Our kitchen is small, so repainting the frameless cabinets if someone hates our color pick only involves painting three doors and seven drawer fronts, so not too stressed on that front.)

Here's what I know for sure:

- We like green, and want to use it somewhere, either on the walls or on the cabinets. Would like the overall kitchen look to read green, too. Going for a "fresh" green that will not be subtle, but also not pop too much for an everyday space---maybe BM Dill Pickle or F&B Cooking Apple Green, or something darker/brighter than those on the walls

- Leaning towards lighter grays and green-grays v. darker taupe-ish shades, if we use gray

- We have some deep red accents that I'd like to keep in the mix (artwork, mixer, etc.) Our appliances will be shiny white.

- Floor will be gray linoleum (Marmoleum pattern made up of two of: Silver Shadow, Eternity, or Volcanic Ash---will choose final combo based on cabinet colors, but that's a range of light to dark grays, all a bit swirly)

- Counters will *probably* be black on the frameless (though we're open to other options if black doesn't work with final cabinet colors) and butcher block on the inset cabinets.

- Any white must be BM Acadia White (because that's what the trim will be painted to match the rest of the house, and don't want to mess with the close-but-not-quite stuff---so an off-white would need to contrast enough to look intentional).

What would you do with these color combos...

- Gray cabinets with green wall? Light gray? Dark gray?

- Green wall with some other color cabinets?

- Green cabinets? What color wall, then? (Gray seems to make cabinets look washed out in the little online color models...yellow? Cream? Red?)

- Stick with white? What color wall, then? (DH lives in fear of having a "white kitchen" so would need to mitigate the white effect with some brighter colors...)

- Other colors we haven't even thought of?

The only color I really want to stay away from is gold/beige/brown, since we have an inordinate amount of that in the house right now, but otherwise we're open to other suggestions. A little concerned about the gray floor with gray cabinets or walls being too gray---and those are the only Marmoleum colors we could agree on, so that can't really change (since Marmoleum is also the only *floor* we could agree on... ;)

TIA for any thoughts or strokes of brilliance on this!

Comments (9)